Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Wanted to run the boat (243CC Everglades) yesterday with the flush kit and do a little cleaning when I had a problem with the engine. The engine, 250HP Verado, cranked right up and sounded great. It ran for about 10 minutes then died. Took about 5 minutes and I finally got it started again and it ran a little shaky then sounded great for a few minutes then started shaking and ran rough and then died. This same thing happened about 4 times; I?d finally get it started and it would sound great and run perfect for a few minutes then start shaking and die like it was starving for fuel. I used Stabilizer at the start of the winter to treat the gas. I searched the internet and found where Verado owners had their fuel floats damaged from ethanol and the symptoms sounded just like what I had. Anyone else had a similar problem? Anyone have any advice? Is changing a fuel float something the average person can do or should I take it in for repairs? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I don't have any experience with Verados, but keep in mind that Ethanol can, and will, cause several problems that Marine Sta Bil, or any of the other products, will not prevent. Ethanol will attack rubber hoses and seals, which will in turn cause other running issues. I would suggest you take it to a local dealer ASAP before a more serious problem comes up. FYI, ethanol issues are not covered under warranty.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard that about Ethanol. Just went out and tried to start it again. As long as I kept the key turned all the way, fuel injection, the motor ran and when I released the key it died. I definitely think its a fuel problem. Thanks

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't tried the filters but the fuel water seperator is being a bear and I get get it unscrewed. Should just be able to unscrew it (counterclockwies) and dump out any water but that thing ain't unscrewing.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm hoping Kenny at Emerald Coast works on Verados and I'll give him a call tomorrow. I think this is beyond my abilities.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2 Fuel pumps are located in a container beneath the powerhead in back of the motor at the upper midsection. you have to remove the sideskirts and there is a black plastic container held on by 10mm head bolts. the lid of the container comes off and there are 2 fuel pumps (lo and hi) with a float between them. the float is a doughnut that rides up and down a tube and contains a magnet that switches the sensor on and off. ethanol cause the tube to get slightly out of round and the float will stick most times at the top. it can sometimes be dislodged by tilting the motor up and down a few times but it will stick again eventually. there have been several revisions to the floats. fuel pump usually will run for a few seconds when the key if first turned on.

took mine apart and one of the fuel pumps had a rubber cap that had swollen and blocked the float. threw the rubber cap away.

check out veradoclub.com. wealth of information for verado owners.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
X-Shark (4/4/2010)
check out veradoclub.com. wealth of information for verado owners.
That's owned by my buddy Glen Ersly. :)
Great site,thanks I just joined. Here's what I found out there:

Although this looks more a problem of the past now, due to the floats released in mid 08 , it might help to understand HOW ethanol is causing all sorts of hassles with the Merc float system. The verado has a small canister down the back leg that has a spindle in the middle of it, and on the spindle rides a candy "lifesaver-like" float that goes up and down. As the motor uses up the the gas in the cylinder, the float drops and triggers a contact that turns the pump on to fill up again. When it gets to the top, it shuts the pump off. The problem occurs when the ethanol gets the cylinder out of round. That causes the float to "stick" - sometimes low, but mostly in the high position. When it sticks low, the pumps stay on and the system "overpumps", and the owner gets an alarm that the fuel pump has a critical error, usually "Vent high".. When it sticks high, the motor thinks it has plenty of gas, so it just turns off the pump. When it sticks high, it gives no alarms, the motor just acts like it's run out of gas, (which it has). This is also why some have some luck knocking it loose by tilting a few times, but it's a short term solution, it will stick again. And why a primer bulb inserted in the line will get you home, as it will keep filling the canister with a few squeezes every 5 min or so...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
If this is a supercharged verado, then drain out all of the old gas and use 91 octane or higher new fuel only..

change fuel filter/ water seperators is mandatory.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts