Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody, or know anybody, that cleans and drys shark jaws for mounting. I have a set of jaws out of the 400 lb bull shark Jim and I caught this summer in my freezer. I have read several articles on how to do this but they all seem to have their drawbacks, ( staining ,warping, teeth falling out if you aren't real careful). I just don't want to screw it up as we don't kill enough to practice on.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated, even from you Dan.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have done afew sets of jaws, I learned a lot on the last set I did. I live in Pensacola if you want to drop by some time, I would be happy to help. I will PM you. Yankee did the jaws on my signature, they turned out great.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I scrape/cut as much meat off as possible, being careful not to scrape the tendons on the jaw hinge. soak it in a 50/50 bleach solution for 3 days, with sticks propping it open to desired width,scraping more meat off till your satisfied. Then I soak it in hydrogen peroxide for2 minutes to whiten it up. Then hang to dry on clothes line, with sticks still propping jaw open till stiff and dry. Then spray with clear polyuerathane to preserve.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the PM's and calls on jaws.

Surfstryker aka Larry is going to help me with them. Told me to supply beer and band aids. Thats the PFF crew for you. All you have to do is ask and help is around the corner.

I will try to document this expeiriment with pics and band aid by band aid descriptions in case any one else wants to try this. Stay tuned and don't try this at home as everytime I touch them I end up bleeding.

Thanks PFF.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
400lbs now??? Just rounding numbers now??? :poke J/K Mark!!!!

The size of that fish and the one that woke y'all up at the rigs makes me not sure if I want to fish with you guy's!!!! :letsdrink

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since you are dinging me. My bad.

386 lbs.

:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon

Hey while I have your attention Scott, what did you choose in the raingear line up. Jim and I use those cheap ones from wallmart and they keep us dry. We have had the same sets for 2 maybe3 years and they are just as good now as when we got them. Its fishing not a fashion show, I have used some of Dan's trash bag ponchos and they work if you are 3 feet tall.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Ha Ha!!!! If I was on board, that SOB would have been everybit of 450!!!!!I would have poop my pants too!!!! :letsdrink

I wasn't worried about the fashion show with the rain gear, I'd make those trash bags look sexy!!!! :doh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts