Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have thought of buying a yak and with a kinda bad back was wondering if any of you have a similar problem that itdoesn't seem to bother you in a yak for periods of time....I mean sitting for periods of time seems to bother my lowerback(it gets stiff till I move around a bit)...standing on the Panama city pier this past fall watching the yak's out in the gulf looked cool as heck and very appealing....thanks in advance for any help...

maybe I'm just getting to old for such thoughts and activities...well at least activities:banghead

·
Registered
408 Posts
The movement required to paddle or pedal and catching fish keeps a kayak anglerfrom being sedantary like sitting in front of a computer. A good seat also helps. Not that I take my own advice but doing stretching exercises before and after can help. From my days working in Physical Therapy I observed that the William's Felxsion exercise can make a big difference.

http://images.google.com/images?rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GPEA_enUS308&q=williams+flexion+exercise&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=tfpaS8u2JpKYtgfssLGYAg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCIQsAQwAw

·
Registered
548 Posts
if you get a comfy seat you should be fine. I had a bad jet ski accident a few years back that fractured my pelvic bone and spiral fractured my femur as well as tweaking my lower back. Standing bothers my back as well, but sitting in the yak is very comfortable . when you paddle, you will be stretching your lower back. Come on and join the yakkers.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Bill, while paddling or pedaling a kayak will provide you plenty of exercise and may help to keep your back loose, I still get sore from sitting down in the yak after several hours. I find that if I can beach the yak or get out in shallow water and walk around for a few minutes, it is a very welcome break. A good seat makes all the difference - buy the very best seat you can get (Surf to Summit makes great yak seats), it will be well worth the money. Maybe add a foam cushion...

I have an Ocean Kayak paddle yak and a Hobiepedal yak and I think the pedaling is better for my back than the paddling motion, plus the stock Hobieseat is very comfortable and provide good lower back support. Hope that is helpful.It is not an age thing - I am in my fifties andI know ofreal activeyakfisherman a lot older than me...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I as well have back probs that severely cripple me from time to time. I find my recovery time is less when I can get otu and paddle for short periods of time. I agree that getting out and walking around when you are feeling uncomfortable is key. I also spend alot of time anchoring so I can sit sideways (with my feet danglin) and stretch forward and leaning slowly back. It helps when getting out is not an option. Good seat is a must. Ive been told knee straps can take pressure off your back but have not tried it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice.....I know you can never spend to muchfor comfort...and a peddle yak I think would be a must for me!!!.....to free up your arms for fishing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Try moving your foot supports closer to you so your knees are bent about 75 to 80 degrees. This will make abig difference. I had the same problem. good luck..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts