Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas, I'm new to kayak fishing and have been researching for about 6 months now. I'm pretty much sold on the Hobie outback but my wallet (and wife) say otherwise. My dilemma is should I just get a relatively cheap, good starter yak like the Pelican 116 or spring for the Hobie right off the bat? I'd like to hear what you think and what you did when you first got into yak fishing.

thanks,

BR

·
Registered
174 Posts
don't waste money working up to where you know you will eventually be. I can troll 2 stretch 25's while drinking a Dew at 3.7 mph . Or anchor then sit sideways and fish one livey on a flat line while casting a plug . Lets see ya do that on another yak besides a hobie outback.

why buy a Sportster when you know you will end up with Road King?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have the Pelican and the Outback, two completly different yaks. You get what you pay for, the pelican is ok but nothing like a prowler 13, wilderness systems type kayaks. Don't get me wrong, the pelican is not to bad for the money, but tracking sucks and you will work harder. Yaking is a lot of fun, and can be really awesome with the right yak, get the wrong yak, it could cause you to hang up the sport.

I would say if your set on the outback, keep saving. Nothing worse then settling for something you really didn't want. I think you will be much happier in the long run.

And if you can't swing the outback, Ocean Kayak is reasonable for the Prowler 13. I think West Marine has them for 699. Great kayak, great price. And you can always easily add a rudder when funds become available. Just remember, a good paddle will make a really huge difference.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I fished from the scrambler for years before making the switch to the Hobie outback, but now I'm thinking I want to switch to the revolution... I caught many fish from thescrambler including a sailfish. I also like to fish from my husbandsWilderness SystemRide sometimes, this kayak is great if you want to stand and sight fish. You first need to figure out what type of fishing you will be doing mostly, for me I knew I would be fishing the Gulf a lot, so stability entering and exiting the water was important to me, but now that I'm fishing back water, I'm wanting something a little faster, to cover more water... no one kayak is perfect for everyone. Myhusband prefers to paddle, I prefer to peddle - hands free to fish, & I'm using my legs which is a bigger muscle group ie I don't tire as easy. I would suggest going to your local kayak shop and actually water testing the kayaks. Good luck, let us know which one you go with and post up some reports! ~Linda

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
lol...We all have our preference and that is why we have more then one kayak in our house... besides he's just jealous that I outfish him =)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I suggest you hold off till you can afford the Hobie.. It'll save you money in the long run.. plus if you don't like kayak fishing (not gonna happen) you can sell the Hobie for almost the same price you paid for it..

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have my first kayak, a non-Hobie, stored. I thought I'd let company use it but they whine and want the Hobie. The non-Hobie is headed to the farm and fresh water duty. I'll bet there are several out there who have a non-Hobie they might sell, rent or loan!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got home from work and already7 replies. I really appreciate it. I've tested the Outback this fall and that's when I fell in love with it. Looks like I'll take the $$ I planned on spending on the Pelican and start a Hobie fund. Thanks for the advice and I hope to see you all out there this spring.

BR

·
Registered
947 Posts
Nice avatar... So I know you will understand this (if you are USN) - no one flunks out of ship driver school and gets sent to flight school. No one buys a Hobie (any pedal model) and wishes they had a Pelican. Save up and get the one you want.

While saving, go to Sunjammers, Liquid Surf or Key Sailing and test drive the Hobies. I have an OK Prowler 13 and a Hobie Revolution - the Revo always goes in the truck first.But, I am not selling my P13...

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have a pelican it fish great i to could not afford a bmw so i bought a honda dont let money stop you from fishing if you never drove a bmwthe honda will get you where you want to go and you will never no the differense it seems to work well to me i put about 100 bucks in mine

·
Registered
947 Posts
David - I can't argue with you, anykayak that gets you on the water is a good kayak. And I won't say anything bad about any brand / model.There is no perfectkayak, everything is a compromise. But if you can afford it, you won't regret buying a Hobie, there is little doubt about that...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I say, regardless of make/style/model, get the one YOU really want. David got a Pelican because that's what he wanted, he could afford it, that's what fits his style, and he's happy with it. If you really want XYZ brand kayak, then ask yourself if you'll be happy with something else?

I wanted a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160 but almost bought a cheaper yak at the beginning of last year. I held off till March and managed to find a used Tarpon for half of the new price. I can say I am very happy with it and glad I waited.

Alex

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Welcome. I'm alsonew to kayak fishing and decided to start out with the Malibu Stealth. I wanted something stable and roomy. I have been happy with it so far. It is definately not the fastest kayak out there but I felt it was a good starter kayak for the price. I bought it from Panhandle Kayaks. The guy who owns it is a controller with Pensacola Tracon. I'm up here at whiting with the t-34. If you want to give him a call, drop me a PM and I'll give you his number. He can sell kayaks for pretty good prices since he has little overhead. I'm not sure what other brands he deals in. God luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts