Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Dicks Sporting Goods is selling the Field and Stream 12' Eagle Talon on sale for $399. What do you guys think...for a guy who is looking for a good yet inexpensive kayak, would you recommend it?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Looking forward to the replies. My son got the 12' Sundolphin SOT from Dicks and rigged it up for fishing. I'm sure it's fine for rivers and lakes but I question how it will hold up in the bays or gulf on rougher waters. Plastic just seems thinner than the higher prices models.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
It's a decent SOT fishing kayak. Especially at that price. I have fished it in fairly rough bay waters and it was nice and easy.

The biggest drawback is the seat and the position of the rod holder. Gotta customize it a bit

Edit: Not at all familiar with the sundolphin. I'm talking about the talon

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Walmart had a really nice looking fishing ready yak out in front, heck looked so good I almost bought it myself! $300?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Would a West Marine kayak be a better option over the Field and Stream?
Which model? And it kind of all depends...what your height/weight/style of fishing you want to do/price limit/paddling experience

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at the 12' Pompano. I really can't spend a lot on a kayak that's why I was looking at the one on sale at Dick's. I am 6'6" and weigh about 220 so I definitely need a well-balanced yak.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I was looking at the 12' Pompano. I really can't spend a lot on a kayak that's why I was looking at the one on sale at Dick's. I am 6'6" and weigh about 220 so I definitely need a well-balanced yak.
Look at the specs on the pompano. I haven't personally been in that yak, so take it with a grain of salt, but at 28" wide, it's a little on the skinny side for a big guy. The talon has a couple extra inches which makes a big difference. If you ask me, one of my favorite budget kayaks was the Heritage angler 14 from academy for I think $549? They are bad ass hulls and you can do just about anything in it. They're probably faster than the talon due to the length as well as the heritage really cuts through the water. It was 31" by 14 feet. I don't see them on the website, but they may still carry them in store

·
Registered
380 Posts
The Sundolphin is a deathtrap. Unless they have added scupper holes. I fished one for several years, inshore and off. That bitch tried to kill me several times. They are to thin and flimsy to mount any rod holders or anything else to. The front and back "handles" are not finished out, so any waves coming over will fill up the inside. You can buy a good used kayak for the same price as a new Sundolphin. Just make sure you get a kayak with scupper holes so when you take a waver over the bow, stern, or side, the water can drain out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts