Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

need a lil yak help!

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Bo Keifus 
#1 ·
N Hey guys im pretty new to the sport of kayak fishing! I have a 10ft old town vapor sit-in right now that i have done very well fishing out of the last 3 mnths but im lookin to sell it and get a sit on top! I havent done any off shore fishing due to the obvious reasons that come slong with a sit inside but i would like to! So im here asking for some advice on what kind of yak i should get! Now i know hobie is the obvious chouce but unfortunately i do not have hobie money! Im looking for some i can take off shore but still be able to use inshore! Im not a real big guy 5'10" 200lbs! Thx in advance guys!

#6 ·
I'm new to kayak fishing been out 6 times total and have loved every second of it. I picked up a pelican outcast 11.5 ft for 350$ prob the best investment ive made. It's stable, quick, and easy to maneuver. Look on Craigslist for the mentioned brands your sure to find the one that fits you. If not go demo one from the local retailers.

#9 ·
I have a Pompano 120 (which is basically identical to the Pescador). Got it new from West Marine for about $400 but they were on sale at the time and I believe still on back order. So after all that, with no real helpful info for you, I love the Pompano and therefore the Pescador or older style Tarpon (all the same). I haven't gone out front yet but it tracks great and I've been in some 3 footers in the bay with no fear of tipping. Lots of dry and open storage and the weight is managable for one person to load and unload (about 60 lbs). You could probably land one used for under your budget and leave some room for a good seat, the only negative I've found with mine.

#12 ·
I couldn't tell you. The Tarpon seats for the 2008 model should fit it but I haven't purchased one yet. From what I hear the Pescador seat is crap and you'll change it out anyway. For now I'm just sitting on a life jacket but need to upgrade soon, gets to wearing on the back

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.