Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to start my 08 duramax and I guess the cold got to the batteries both or dead. If anyone knows a place or person I can get 2 on the cheap please let me know. Thx

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Advance auto parts online order for store pickup and check retailmenot for their coupon codes. Most max out at $50 off, but depending on price of batteries, just place 2 orders and use same coupon each time. Typically there is a $40 off $100, $50 off $125, or flat 30% - 35% off with max of $50.

Autocraft gold group 48 is $153.99 plus core.
Use WD51A (35% off today) and place 2 orders. Will be 103.99+core and tax per order, and then when you pickup in store you will get your cores refunded on swap like buying in store.

Batteries plus is $129.99 on the duracell and Sam's club is $109.17. Problem is you have to go back to that specific store for warranty. Usually auto zone, O'Reilly, and advance house brand batteries are easier to deal with under warranty.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Advance auto parts online order for store pickup and check retailmenot for their coupon codes. Most max out at $50 off, but depending on price of batteries, just place 2 orders and use same coupon each time. Typically there is a $40 off $100, $50 off $125, or flat 30% - 35% off with max of $50.

Autocraft gold group 48 is $153.99 plus core.
Use WD51A (35% off today) and place 2 orders. Will be 103.99+core and tax per order, and then when you pickup in store you will get your cores refunded on swap like buying in store.

Batteries plus is $129.99 on the duracell and Sam's club is $109.17. Problem is you have to go back to that specific store for warranty. Usually auto zone, O'Reilly, and advance house brand batteries are easier to deal with under warranty.
Thanks for the info. I looked at advance but didn't see that coupon code I'll check it out again. If anyone else might have 2 laying around and not using I can put them to use. Also interested in optima batteries. Thx

·
Registered
612 Posts
That place off avalon sells them for 42 they are recycled or something but I have never had any problem with them

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thanks for the info. I looked at advance but didn't see that coupon code I'll check it out again. If anyone else might have 2 laying around and not using I can put them to use. Also interested in optima batteries. Thx
http://m.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com
Optimas aren't really what they once were for quality, Johnson controls tanked the qc.... Check out deka agms made in usa (or rebadged dekas) or north star agm (batteries plus x2 power agm is a north star).

The diehard agm is usually an agm (platinum is typically northstar or deka unless there is a gold agm which is a deka). O'Reilly super start agm is a deka and they will price match any other house brand deka agm on sale somewhere like sears or batteries plus. Advance auto platinum agm is a mix of deka or Johnson controls, just have to look closely. Double handles on top is a deka, engraved agm in side of silver case, it's a Johnson controls hencho en mexico.

Looks like the aap h6 agm (can't recall which size cross referenced to group 48 but that one said it fit the 08 dmax, double check though) is a deka for $171.99 thin minus $50 each on coupon codes. Just use coupon code WD51A on each order. It can be used multiple times :thumbup: just add that promo code on the cart page and you'll see the discount details.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That place off avalon sells them for 42 they are recycled or something but I have never had any problem with them
I know the place used them a few times but they are closed on the weekends. Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't just spend 130 to renew my tag yesterday but thx for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Looks like the h6-agm is correct fit. $25 mail in rebate per battery also, so it would be cheaper than the gold autocraft flooded after rebate.

Says gulf breeze pky advance auto has at least 2. Just place 2 orders to maximize the coupons. Lol I shop batteries a lot for our work trucks that the ac delcos all have been crapping out this past summer and my personal vehicles. Aap is hard to beat. My f-150 battery is an O'Reilly only because the group 65 agm at aap is a Johnson and not deka. O'Reilly price matched sears diehard gold on sale with a coupon on a deka.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like the h6-agm is correct fit. $25 mail in rebate per battery also, so it would be cheaper than the gold autocraft flooded after rebate.

Says gulf breeze pky advance auto has at least 2. Just place 2 orders to maximize the coupons. Lol I shop batteries a lot for our work trucks that the ac delcos all have been crapping out this past summer and my personal vehicles. Aap is hard to beat. My f-150 battery is an O'Reilly only because the group 65 agm at aap is a Johnson and not deka. O'Reilly price matched sears diehard gold on sale with a coupon on a deka.

I have acdelco in it now with a few months left but I have a few issues with them. Thx for all the info looks like the best deal going as I need them today. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I bought 2 for my Dodge cummins a few months age and after shopping around, NAPA had the best price for the amps I needed.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Johnson Controls is the leading supplier of batteries to many of the largest aftermarket battery retailers, including Advance Auto Parts, DAISA S.A., AutoZone, Costco, NAPA, Interstate Batteries, Walmart and more. Powering virtually every type of passenger car, light truck and utility vehicle, our batteries are globally sold under private labels, as well as our own brands – VARTA®, Heliar®, LTH®, MAC®, Delkor® and OPTIMA®.

There are not to many other companies making batteries anymore.
Soon it will be a monopoly.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
I bought 2 for my Dmax about 5 months ago, Just picked them up from walmart.. I wouldnt put recycled batteries on them.. Go new its a diesel, as have you been plugging your truck in at night on these cold nights? Its good to keep the motors warm on the cold start ups.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Johnson Controls is the leading supplier of batteries to many of the largest aftermarket battery retailers, including Advance Auto Parts, DAISA S.A., AutoZone, Costco, NAPA, Interstate Batteries, Walmart and more. Powering virtually every type of passenger car, light truck and utility vehicle, our batteries are globally sold under private labels, as well as our own brands – VARTA®, Heliar®, LTH®, MAC®, Delkor® and OPTIMA®.

There are not to many other companies making batteries anymore.
Soon it will be a monopoly.
Granted Johnson makes a lot of brands of batteries, they don't exactly make the best out there, especially in agm batteries. Don't know the current data, but I know they are steadily shipping their production to Mexico. Look at optima quality pre JC and post JC. Their flooded batteries are built with various specs based off whose badge they are slapping on the case. Not all are created equal. Also, JC loses contracts and gains them on and off like Napa switching around.

Jc's flooded batteries aren't bad and are everywhere. Their agm's like the few they make for aap and energizer are hit and miss and are usually short on reserve capacity by 25%-30% even on truck batteries.

Deka / East Penn Corp flooded batteries are still hands down much better quality and made 100% in the U.S.A just like their agm lines. They are the caterpillar flooded battery supplier since 1982. Last i checked, theywere still the john deere supplier as well. For agm, they build the auto zone duralast platinum, O'Reilly super start platinum, most of aap autocraft platinums, sears diehard gold agm, some diehard platinum agm mixed in with odyssey and northstar, duracell agm, some napa batteries, and several others. Easy to spot the east Penn batteries. Harley's agm batteries are east Penn / deka as well. A lot of oem power sports agm batteries come from them now.

For agm, the 3 major players that produce high quality batteries are odyssey, northstar, and deka / east Penn. Optima has pretty much fallen out of the market due to poor qc and high price compared to other products. Odyssey and northstar are HIGH price and very few rebadged products. There are a few other niche market agm manufacturers for car stereo enthusiasts.

Then you have the ultra lightweight lithium based batteries like braille.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just looked at Walmart they have a H6 with 5 year warranty 3 year free replacement and 2 year prorated for 118.00 each. How are there batteries is it worth the money are they agm I'm not sure what or how to tell its the maxx ever start. Thx

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I just looked at Walmart they have a H6 with 5 year warranty 3 year free replacement and 2 year prorated for 118.00 each. How are there batteries is it worth the money are they agm I'm not sure what or how to tell its the maxx ever start. Thx
Those are non serviceable flooded batteries. Typically from JC. Specs are 730cca, 115min reserve capacity, 910ca, 40.00lb. Typically the heavier the battery, the more lead content. Either thicker plates or more plates.

The aap platinum h6 agm was 760cca, 120min reserve capacity, 950ca, 45.66lb for comparison. Little more battery weight typically equates to a few more rc minutes and a little more cranking amps through the temp ranges. Granted it's also a different technology, but it's still lead acid. Agm just gives you a few perks of much more vibration resistant, less likely to corrode terminals from acid spills or venting, flexible mounting orientations, etc. Performance is pretty much on par with the specs but just less likely to fail from using a truck like a truck. Ever been offroad and cracked the seal around the post terminal on a flooded battery, just to find acid splattered everywhere? Loads of fun....

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
If The Batteries are the same age then replace as a pair. If not disconnect both from the cables. Read voltage on each. Whichever is less voltage will be worst battery. U can let them sit an hour or so . The good battery will rise in voltage. U can tell the age of the batteries by either the sticker on the side or the stamped in serial numbers in the top case. If they are over 4 yrs old ,, Chunk them. Sealed Batteries are better in a couple ways. They last longer, They don't vent out Acid causing corrosion eating up cables, terminals, Trays , Etc. When regular Batteries start failing, They start venting. Corrosion follows suit. Napa has a good sealed battery for the price !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts