Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything that i read, you guys are talking about fishing in the bays, or Surf fishing.

Do any of you do near shore trolling like from a 1/2 mile to 5 miles out in the Gulf ?

Being from Michigan, and fishing Salmon in Lake Michigan, it looks like it should be awesome, with all the reefs and ship wrecks ?.

Stick some downriggers down and some planner boards out to the sides and it sure looks like a guy would catch something.

If i had that kind of structure in LK MI, i would be in Heaven.

Do any of you fish like that ?

Kevin

·
Squid technician
10,506 Posts
This time of year, it's limited to certain species. Bonito, the occasional king and redfish closer in. If you get on here during the summer, you'll see more if the nearshore trolling reports for kings, mahi, etc

·
Registered
430 Posts
And definitely don't let it out that they have brought sail, mahi, blackfin, cobia, king and I don't know what else in off the piers. There is a "pilgrim quota" (Gamble Rogers, I miss ya) so in too many try to head this way they will be turned away at the border photo id or not.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
June

Get back here when it warms up and I may have a boat in the water. We can both learn.

Hi Wally

we will be there from Feb 27th to March 6th.
And if the $ allow we are going to try to come back down in late June for 6 or 7 days.

I am going to bring a couple of my downriggers down and planner boards, I have to at-least give it a try.
If i get a decent day and can get out on the Gulf.

Kevin

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi Wally

we will be there from Feb 27th to March 6th.
And if the $ allow we are going to try to come back down in late June for 6 or 7 days.

I am going to bring a couple of my downriggers down and planner boards, I have to at-least give it a try.
If i get a decent day and can get out on the Gulf.

Kevin
Sounds good, hope you get into some. I don't know anything about what is going on then but, from what I hear, I'd expect you could have some fun with Bull Reds at Dixie Bar.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fish

Sounds good, hope you get into some. I don't know anything about what is going on then but, from what I hear, I'd expect you could have some fun with Bull Reds at Dixie Bar.

I really just want to get into some fish, I really don't care what kind, my father in law is 71 or 72 and i just want him to catch some fish and have some fun.

Kevin

·
Registered
652 Posts
^ +1
Cobia in March, Kings in June.
Early March is typically really windy and a little early for the cobia run. April brings the bait pods and with the bait are the kings.

John

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YA, I figure that most of our fishing will be in the Bays.
But maybe I will get a decent day to where i can get on the Gulf ?

Kevin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts