Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is aninformal Cobia/King Mackerel kayak fishing tournament atNavarre Beach this Sat. Cost is$10 per person and winner takes all for the largestlegal Cobia in length(Must be 33" to fork min.) in length. Due to potential hazard of getting a big cobia into a kayak, you may finish reeling the fish in on the beach after getting the fish to your kayak as long as you are still sitting in your kayak on the beach. In theevent no one catches a cobia, the largest King Mackerelin length wins.

Check-in time is 5:30am-6am and weigh-in is at noon sharp. This is an atyour own riskget-together. The people that participated last year were the ones that are interested in doingthis formatagain, but this could be one of the last chances to catch kings and cobia for a long time! No one knows what is going to happen for sure with the oil spill, so please pray to for a miracle!

I have been planning and looking forward to this for a long time and I have gotten some feedbackto move forward on this and people seem to want to get out andfish while it lasts.If the oil slick is there,it would be cancelled, of course, but it looks like the north wind might keep it from reaching Navarre Beach come Sat. at this point.Weatherand surflooksfine now, but would be moved to Sunday, if needed.

Thecobia bite andking bite is red hot right now!Who plans on being there?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I will be camping at Rocky Bayou this weekend so I think I'll come out and try for my first king/cobia from a yak.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Ernie is fishing the jax tourney this weekend but as long as the weather looks good, I'll be there - didn't make it to one last year so looking forward to it. fish while we can!!!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still waiting on my 1st cobia from my kayak. I had my doubts about someone catching one for this because it is tough in a kayak, but they have been really thick this year. This was a quote from Outcast Bait & Tackle's Tommy Holmes in yesterday's PNJ, "Cobia fishing in April was "as good as it's ever been in our region." And Navarre Beach is a great place for them. Alex caught one recently and Will caught 3 that I am aware of. (That is awesome guys!) I know there are always people that catch fish there that do not post. NB is always a great place for kings as well, so it should be very exciting! Weather and surf is looking even better now and we should be ok as far as the oil slick goes. Who else is in?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I plan to be there. We fished the King tourney last year but the wind, stormsand current brought us too far down the beach to make it back in time for the weigh-in. Hopefully better weather this year.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check-in will be around to the Navarre Pier for those not familiar with the area. (Thewest end of the parking lot.) Brandon will serve as a backup. Some may want to launch at the east end of the parking lot if there ends up being a lot of us.

Kreg

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You may launch after you check in which begins at 5:30am, however, I plan to head out myself around 6am, so don't miss the check-in time!:pinch: I have some items from Key Sailing and Hot Spots so that a 2nd & 3rd place will not go empty handed this year. There are tons of cobia and some smoker kings out there now and conditions should be perfect!

Kreg

·
Registered
239 Posts
I will be out there along with a few others who are not on the forum. Sounds like there is going to be a pretty good turnout!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll be there at 6 am. looking forward to it, hope the kings are biting:D. I called Henry today, and he will be joining us also.

See you all tomorrow morning. Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts