Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I frequent navarre a lot for kayak fishing. I do a lot of trolling but just curious if there is a fishing reef or some structure somewhere offshore accessible to kayak and if so about how far offshore? Just wanting to mix in some good bottom fishing for snapper and whatever else may be down there. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Me and you are in the exact same position! I have watched hundreds of videos, read dozens of articles/forums, and spent countless hours searching and researching GPS coordinates. I've found some potential spots and also got some info from the guy I bought a pair of used hobies from. I've done a good bit of bottom dropping live bait from a center console 15-25 miles out, but I'm very curious to see if the same tactics work two miles out. I would love to get a group together to try to get some pointers. I'm not going to get to go as much as I want this year though cause I got a baby coming first week of May.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm also curious how much I need to downsize my gear from the center console days. I don't want to go out super over gunned or under gunned.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Any reef you find do a YouTube search for it and look for scuba diving videos. That'll give you a good idea of what you're working with down there.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've been kayak fishing for a year now and want to do a lot of BTB stuff this year. I red snapper from my yak is on my 2015 bucket list. But its all new to me too, so far I've been inshore. Id be game if a group wanted to try some new spots and learn together.

·
Registered
250 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking Andrew. I tell ya what though buddy, if all you've done so far is inshore YOU ARE IN FOR A TREAT just going out front and trolling for kings. Maks were the crack that turned me into a yak addict! Being form Mississippi I didn't even know bottom fishing reefs and wrecks was a kayak option until the end of last summer! Now I'm obsessed with X-ing a kayak red snapper, grouper, or amberjack off my bucket list also! I'd be more than happy to share my very limited knowledge with anyone that wants to join me when I come down in June.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Let's do it Eric. I live in Mobile and know that I can get to offshore stuff a lot easier in FL than here. I caught a jak from my yak last year on a 3000 sized reel and it was a blast. With offshore I won't go out alone so I'm definitely looking for some guys to go with.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
There's a reason you won't find coordinates for the reefs off Navarre. They are small reefs and a few guys can/will fish them out in a season. Best bet if you have some reefs...tell no one! If you want to take some one make sure they leave their GPS and cellphone in the truck because trust me, come the third week of snapper season you won't catch crap.

I've been reef fishing between Navarre and Pensacola for awhile now from a yak. Guys ask me all of the time why I do well with the Big snapper and they don't. It's because very very few people know my good spots and I spread my trips out over several reefs. The reefs that everyone knows suck now. If you happen to find a good one and you want to keep it good, I suggest keeping it to yourself!

As for the reefs that everyone knows, I rape them the first few days of the season then move to my good stuff because they are going to be cleaned out in a matter of weeks anyway.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wow JD, thanks for letting the wind outa my sail hahaha. I'm more concerned with catching an AJ than a snapper anyway.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm not really looking to "rape" anywhere I fish. Just enjoy being on the water and learning new ways and places to fish. We'll find them somewhere!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Many new anglers do not understand that these small reefs hold just a few fish. They tell a buddy, than that buddy tells a buddy and so on and so on and before you know it, those fish are gone! Big public stuff holds more fish but get more pressure. Also, in all of the hundred and hundreds of trips I've done off Navarre I've never seen an AJ.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Many new anglers do not understand that these small reefs hold just a few fish. They tell a buddy, than that buddy tells a buddy and so on and so on and before you know it, those fish are gone! Big public stuff holds more fish but get more pressure. Also, in all of the hundred and hundreds of trips I've done off Navarre I've never seen an AJ.
I completely understand that concept.... welcome to lake fishing in small town, usa! I'm far from being a new angler, just new to kayak fishing near shore. Fishing in public is fishing in public no matter if it's freshwater or saltwater. This rings even truer when anglers "rape" descent fishing holes.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I think you don't get the point I was making. I hit the more known reefs off Navarre hard the first few days, because by the second week or so nothing is left. Then I move to my other, less known reefs and spread out my fishing pressure on them. Because of this, I routinely put very, very nice red snapper in my and my clients coolers unlike the guys that take all of their buddies out to a little 6x6 reef, fish it all season and wonder why they cant catch many big ones...

Good fishing holes don't get "raped" common knowledge ones do and lucky for me I put in hundreds of miles of leg work to find those good holes. I didn't ask for anything, I worked for it and it has paid off BIG time! ;)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Keep your bottom machine on and keep an eye on it while trolling around out there. I've stumbled across a handful of spots that way the past couple trips I've gone out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts