Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by stating that I reside in NJ and have never fished florida waters before. With that being said, here's my two cents...

I spent the entire day up and down the coast from Mid-Navarre all the way down to the point of Picken's reading beach, and correct me if Im wrong, but that section of beach pretty much sucks for surf fishing. There's basically a continuous sandbar with no cuts paralleling the entire shoreline. That's usually not a bad thing, other than this bar is located at near max casting distance, and the trough between shore builds gradually rather than any dropoffs and only holds about 3-4ft of water. I can see maybe fishing the trough during non-light hours, but thats too shallow to hold anything significant in the daylight. Now if you were to wad out to that sandbar, and cast out from there, it might be an entirely different story, but the beach formation as is doesnt bode well for surfcasting.

Down at the point of Picken's there were a few schools of something chasing something (any local knowledge as to whats running right now would be helpful). There were schools of something (snapper blues and/or menhaden/bunker) chasing some schools of small baitfish, and a few larger tailers chasing the blues/bunker, and all the while being dive bombed by about 20-30 Pelican's. The action was just out of casting distance even wading out on the sandbar, but nontheless, it was a pretty cool sight to behold.

After that action ceased, I gave up on the ocean side, and swung around to the bayside of Picken's (about 1.5 hours before dead low). The action on the bayside was great. Apparently, this channel was a dredged waterway, and deepens/drops-off rather suddenly. Menhaden, Bluefish, Red Snapper, Sheepshead, and Hardheads (if you cast too far out, it was almost guaranteed a Hardhead, guess thats why we call them "channel cats" back home.) With the highlights being about 17" (a red snap and a sheepshead were both about that size.) Once dead tide hit, all action stopped, the sun was already down, and it was even getting chilly for a northerner, lol. I'm only here for a week, any help locating some good action would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is not the best time of the year to surf fish the areas that you mentioned. If you insist on surf fishing I would go all the way down to the end of Fort Pickens. This is time of the year the bull reds pass through. I would catch some bait fish and put it out there for a nice red to gobble up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A buddy of mine caught 2 slot reds and 3 pomps the other day on Navarre beach. The last storm changed the beach a little, but there are fish around.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Holes

Best when a little surf, daylight dusk, watch the surf, where waves r smaller is where the deeper water is, as that is the current is returning to the gulf, bringing food out with it, where the fish.:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts