Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to navarre bridge after soaking baits awhile at shalimar bridge, caught nada at shalimar bridge. The spanish mackerel didn't even bite on my gotchas so I went to navarre bridge. I started out catching some schoolie jacks on crappie jigs then caught some pinfish to throw on a knocker rig for trout and reds. I caught my first goliath grouper and I thought for sure it was a ray because I didnt think goliath gouper would be there. It was definitely the highlight of the day. The trout and reds just didn't cooperate. I started dropping shrimp on jigheads around the structure and not even the mangroves were biting. I caught some nice flounder though. The flounder bite is staying steady and the jacks are hanging around. Only other things caught were pinfish, puffers, and grunts.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry man I don't bring my phone fishing anymore cause I lost TWO very expensive iPhones to the ocean. I promised myself I would never lose another phone while fishing. Maybe my friend has some pictures, if he has any I will post them by tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Sorry man I don't bring my phone fishing anymore cause I lost TWO very expensive iPhones to the ocean. I promised myself I would never lose another phone while fishing. Maybe my friend has some pictures, if he has any I will post them by tomorrow.
I don't blame you! I have a cheapo phone so even if I did lose it, it wouldn't hurt my wallet too bad! Sounds like a good trip to me!

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking about getting a gopro with the head mount so I can record my catches, but it costs $300. I just don't have that kind of money to go spending right now.

·
Registered
415 Posts
You left shalimar bridge, and drove straight to Navarre...that's a long run man! I've seen jewfish under destin bridge, and talked to a guy that's seen them at Brooke's...shalimar is loaded with gags, just hard to catch.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea costs a lot in gas but it was almost prime fishing time so I couldn't resist. How big are the goliaths at destin bridge? I would love to try and catch some in the 100-200 pound class range I've caught them that big in the keys, lots of fun but after 2 or 3 big ones I'm wore out for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Only ever saw 1...it was a couple years ago. He was probably 70-100, doubt you'd pull him out of all the old pilings though. Plenty of gags down there too.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The way I look at it is pulling that thing out of the pilings is what I'm there for, the fight. I think tomorrow I might head there with a couple bonito heads and drop em down all along the bridge til I find him. But on the way to the beach today I dropped by the navarre bridge and there were tons of nice 8 to 10 pound class jacks pinning baitfish up against the seawall, it was definitely a sight to see. I will be there soon to catch them.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I was there the other night the 17th during the lightening storm at about 2am. Only caught a couple of croakers. Was hoping for much more but it didn't happen. Guess it could have been worse and been a bunch of Gaftop sailcats like in the past. I suppose dodging the lightening bolts put a damper on things :(

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I was there the other night the 17th during the lightening storm at about 2am. Only caught a couple of croakers. Was hoping for much more but it didn't happen. Guess it could have been worse and been a bunch of Gaftop sailcats like in the past. I suppose dodging the lightening bolts put a damper on things :(
That lighting was really strange stuff that night I watched it for seveal hours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts