Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to area...
Is the current off of Navarre beach always moving to the west?
The few times I've gone out, the current or drift carries me West.
I don't understand nautical charts and I know the wind can be a factor.

I would like to launch from Navarre and land maybe 5 miles to the West traveling with the current where another vehicle is waiting...

How can I predict the current changes if any?

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
If you are talking the sound? Tide is mostly what moves you. Incoming and you should go East, outgoing and you will be going West. Pensacola Tide Chart is pretty good. Figure out when high tide is, add 2 hours and launch. Be at your destination by 2 hours or so before low tide or you will be fighting current headed East!. I would plan the opposite if it were me, I prefer to fish incoming tide if possible and when the water is moving pretty good.

If you are talking Gulf, then I have no idea, lol

Hope this info is helpful, if not, just disregard, lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
In my limited (15'ish) trips out, I've seen the current go in different directions. I'm basing this off fishing for snapper 4-5 miles out. Not sure what causes the current, or how to find out which direction it's moving.

Tight lines,
Potsie

·
Registered
421 Posts
Current can go either direction, so can the wind. They can also go opposite directions, though I feel like my drifts in the gulf are usually to the east.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[email protected]

If you are talking the sound? Tide is mostly what moves you. Incoming and you should go East, outgoing and you will be going West. Pensacola Tide Chart is pretty good. Figure out when high tide is, add 2 hours and launch. Be at your destination by 2 hours or so before low tide or you will be fighting current headed East!. I would plan the opposite if it were me, I prefer to fish incoming tide if possible and when the water is moving pretty good.

If you are talking Gulf, then I have no idea, lol

Hope this info is helpful, if not, just disregard, lol
Navarre Beach Gulf Side, not the sound...THX.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts