Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a buddy of mine (Mitch) decided late last night to take the kayaks out to the beach since we couldn't go the day before because it was a little bumpy. Well Mitch usually borrows someones kayak but he couldn't this time, so we both hopped in my two seater and got to the beach around 7:45 after hitting the snooze button a couple of times. We started off by catching 6 finger mullet about 8 inches in the sound for bait. We paddled out about 300yds past the new pier and started drifting dead cigs and live mullet. I saw fish tearing up the water about 100yds south of us after drifting for 30 minutes with only one cigar minnow being touched so we paddle out to them and notice it is bonita. Mitch starts to cast a spoon and gets a hit on his mullet which ends up being a king about 10 lbs. Then I caught remora:boo. We are about to paddle in for another drift when see Mitch's Mullet getting a hit, then the next thing I know I'm hooked up on a good fish and Mitch missed his fish. My fish hits the surface where I notice it is a Cobia. He put up a really good fight for around 45 minutes to an hour. Where he drug us around like crazy. The fun part was getting him into the kayak without a gaff, we tired him out then I grabbed his tail and wrestled he into the kayak. He did not like that to say the least and I had to wrestle him back into the yak 3 times on the paddle into the shore where we were greeted by multiple tourist.

We got our cigar minnows from Broxson Outdoors in Navarre, They are a good group of guys and their store is filling up with some good stuff, so stop by and check them out.

I'm going to get Mitch to put up some pictures later on tonight.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Today was definitely the day to be out there for cobia! Congrats on your success!!!

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gottafish (27/05/2010)Today was definitely the day to be out there for cobia! Congrats on your success!!!

Yeah I know, I thought I actually did something until I saw two other cobia were caught and the big one at 67lbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts