Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cool 46 degrees and breezy from the east at 7am on the beach. Low tide and water way out but starting back in... seemed like great conditions for some groceries. I've caught my 3 biggest black drum since moving to Florida 5 months ago and they were all yesterday. The first one came on my old 7' Shakespeare Bigwater rod and Browning reel. As I released the fish I saw my other rod (nice new Penn rig) bending and had another fight on my hands. One more about 45 minutes later and my arthritic hands were done for the day. I guess I could have kept one, but growing up in Tx we did not normally keep large drum (red or black) since the meat wouldn't be that great and lots of worms. So no groceries, but great memories.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
The worms used to bother me, but I have since learned to get over it. They are called Spaghetti worms and won't hurt you at all. They are actually a sign of a healthy ecosystem. I still don't keep the big ones, but if I keep a small one and they have it I will eat the fish regardless. Nice day fishing! welcome to Florida!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Looks like you got them on a pomp rig. I had a similar experience on the pensacola pier a few weeks ago. I was shocked the black drums are eating fishbites and sandfleas ( at least that’s what I was using!).

I agree with not eating the larger drum. Meat isn’t as tasty and the worm freak me out!

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pomp Rigs

Looks like you got them on a pomp rig. I had a similar experience on the pensacola pier a few weeks ago. I was shocked the black drums are eating fishbites and sandfleas ( at least that’s what I was using!).

I agree with not eating the larger drum. Meat isn’t as tasty and the worm freak me out!
Got them all on fishbites on pomp rigs I tied with 20lb fluoro and #1 circles. Floats and beads on the first one, bare rigs on the next two.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's a great catch! It's the kind of bigger fish (anything) I hope to catch when we get down there. I release everything caught but what about the worms? I didn't know drum have worms. Are they in the in the gut or what?

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The worms can be all throughout the meat or just in a small area or nowhere. In any case, Pastor Jack assures me (and I've heard most of my life as well) that the worms will do humans no harm...just a little extra protein (haha). Anything in the slot (14" - 24") for black drum should be fine to eat and if they have worms and it bothers you, cut around them. I prefer drum on the smaller end of the slot for eating and as mentioned before I haven't kept any to eat that were extra large.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Memorable day in the surf! Go back and do it again.

When I was a kid, I had a crush on your wife, Debby. Later, I had a crush on your daughter, Princess Leah. I think I'm over it now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts