Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of my Sister's Grandkids wanted to go to the beach, so my Sisters and I tried some surf fishing. Coming from Navarre we headed west stopping at the first parking lot on the Gulf side on the Gulf Islands National Seashore. Arriving at 6am, there was a nice breeze from the east with clouds keeping the sun at bay and the Gulf was calm. There were schools of Ladyfish everywhere hitting on baitfish and lots of June grass. We set up for Spanish/King fishing using frozen Cigar Minnows and Finger Mullet on weighted wire leaders, while we tossed out some Gotchas, but only caught 2 Ladies. Something kept hitting our baits, leaving the head on but missing the stinger hook on the King leaders. Then kids never wanted to set up their poles, but had a blast finding sea shells (there were lots of them!), and playing in the sand and water. Around 8am a bunch of porpoises came through and the Ladyfish moved on. We were getting some decent sized Sand Fleas, so we then put out a mix of poles for Spanish/King and Pompanos. About 820am, We saw a fish skying and doing flip flops over where Sis had put out one of her lines, then noticed her drag on that pole was set really loose and that's why the pole wasn't bending, hehe. What a show that 2 foot Black Tip Shark put on for us! We let the shark go to grow up. The clouds moved away while the shark was on making it for a beautiful day. Around 835am Sis brought in a beautiful 14" Pompano, so we changed out 2 more poles for Pomps. We had more pick-ups but no hook-ups and got tired of cleaning the June grass off the lines, so at 1030am we packed it in. I got to keep the Pompano and fried it for dinner, it was soooooo delicious!!

At 7am four wheelers and a bus load of workers showed up nearly filling the small parking lot. A few drove down to the beach near us, looking for oil, but there wasn't any where we were. The bus then took the workers down the beach a ways and let the workers off to the west of us, where they set up their tents. The four wheelers would occasionally drive back by us, but the workers never came near us.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice report. The june grass hasn't been much of a problem this year..it's been the freaking algae. You're lucky that you could fish NB the other day. Every time in the last few weeks that I've stopped by NB to see if it was fishable..the algae was horrible. That stuff moved in in May this year and has only backed off for a few days here and there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts