Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hit the national seashore for some surf and shark fishing Saturday.

Got there at 8:00AM to creepy thick fog and threw out live shrimp, peeled shrimp and fishbites, couldn't buy a bite! Got shark lines out around 1 with bonita, mullet, and rays dropped 300-900 yards out. We didn't see any action until sunset, then we had 2 short runs one of which resulted in a short hookup for our guests. Somewhere on the way in it spit the hook. Around 9:30 another set of runs with no hookup then the biggest cluster*** of braid I have ever seen happened. While untangling mile or so of crossed lines, Mace hollered at me that my 9/0 had went slack. I hurried over and began reeling with fury. After about a hundred yards I caught up to the fish and quickly saw he was in 2 other lines. DAMMIT! Through the pauses to weave my way around the other lines, I thought the fish was gone. :( So I stopped reeling and finished untangling myself. Got all clear and started reeling, taking up slack again. At this point I actually thought I had been cut by one of the other lines. I caught back up and had tension again but it still didn't feel like a fish. by this time I saw that somehow I was back across another line! DAMMIT! Mace was reeling that line in at this point so I continued reeling thinking the extra weight I felt was his line. I saw the swivel on my leader and at that moment in the wash I saw it, I yelled "HOLY **** Ive got a tiger!" As I backed up towards the spike to put my rod down, the tangle slipped and I felt slack, OH GOD! I dropped the rod and ran for the fish, soaking my pants and filling my boots up with sandy seawater. Grabber the beast by the tail and drug him up to a little safer spot to work. Clipped the hook and headed him back to the water stopping for a half second for a pic, he was pissed and chompy and way to close to my junk for that crap! Got him back in the water and had to follow him for 80 yards down the beach before he finally turned and headed south.

All in all it was a great first trip of the year for our group, and we got a shark on the beach.

total tally:
1 little tiger
0 surf fish
1 wicked sunburn
4 new friends from Minnesota that we hope to see again!

·
Registered
400 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts