Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to the forum and only moved to Pensacola a few months ago. Freshwater fished all my life but fairly new to saltwater fishing. Been taking the kids to the NAS sea wall and having pretty good luck. Tons of the usual pin fish thieves, of course, but one of my gals snagged a snapper a couple of days ago and several good sized grass porgy. Last night my 10 year old landed a nice flounder on a Gulp shrimp (photo). I actually landed a 15" or so red in a cast net when pulling up some bait to start the evening yesterday and tossed him back. Quite the surprise.

Any tips or tricks for this spot, others on base, or places I can take a couple of kids to fish from shore? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
The base has a map outlining where you can fish, so I would check that. Hadn't fished there in a long time. When I did the two places I hit pretty regular where the wall closest to the "O" club and the wall by the old YDT pier. Dragging mud minnows did fairly well for Flounder and an occasional Red Drum. Don't be afraid to drag them really close to the wall and the rip rap. The wire minnow traps will work for Mud Minnows.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Be careful.
Lots of saltwater fish are toothy and have very powerful jaws. A trigger fish can snap your finger off. A Sheepshead can ruin your day as well. The mouth of the slip where the smaller vessels are parked at the east end of the seawall used to hold lots of big flounder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts