Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

NADA vs market price=huge difference

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  welldoya 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a 1999 Boston Whaler. NADA list average retail price between
$14.5k to $16.5k. This is the cheapest one Ive found, and asking $27k, and that's with questionable motors. Where does NADA get its value, and why is it so off from what peoe are selling them for? High retail assumes good condition--electronics make a small difference, but not 10-20k. Is there somewhere else in America that boats sell for much cheaper? Thanks

#3 ·
Check your bank on the value

NADA isn't always on the mark. Your bank is the final authority as they are who has the money to loan and if the boat doesn't spec out, no dice. They use NADA sometimes but also have other valuations to refer to.

Because someone feels there boat is worth 27K doesn't mean they will get it either. The bank isn't going to loan more than it is worth and your insurance company will not value it for more either. I understand what you are saying and some people can't understand that the moment they take delivery they have lost upwards of 15% of the value and it goes down each year.

Keep looking. Try using "search tempest" and learn how to use the search function. The BW'rs do seem to command a premium from what I have seen over the years.

Good luck in the hunt,

Bob

#4 ·
Use the completed EBay auctions as a guide to what they are selling for. My opinion with the boat with FICHT's is definitely overpriced. More often than not, asking price is being dictated by either what is owed or perceived value of owner without any rational thought. Chances are the electronics on a 1999 boat hold little to no value unless they have been updated in the last couple of years. There are deals to be had but you may have to travel & make a quick buying decision as good deals will sell very quickly.

#5 ·
Spring early summer is when you see the highest prices IMO
Lots of buyers with boat fever
If you have time You may find a better price up in the NE at the end of the season.
Many people have to pull and store their boats to avoid the winter
The cost if storage can work for you if they are trying to sell. And it has appeared to
Me that there are a lot more of the high end boats up that way.
Don't forget to search the Great Lakes states also.

Orlando south is cheaper but those rigs have generally seen a lot
More use also.

X2 on search search search the right one will pop up but you have
To be ready to jump. Good luck

#9 ·
X2 on search search search the right one will pop up but you have
To be ready to jump. Good luck
It took me 2 years to find my boat and now I might be forced to sell it. I received orders to move to Turkey at the end of the year. Like stated above, be ready to pull the trigger on the right boat. Good luck

John

#6 ·
NADA price is the Hull ONLY.

You then add the year/make/HP of the motor(s) and rigging.

Then you add the year/make/length of the trailer.

Then you add any accessories and/or upgrades.

You have to look up the prices independently and add them together. Again, the NADA price for the "boat" year/make/model is for a BARE HULL ONLY - no motors, rigging, trailer, or electronics at all.

#7 ·
NADA price is the Hull ONLY.

You then add the year/make/HP of the motor(s) and rigging.

Then you add the year/make/length of the trailer.

Then you add any accessories and/or upgrades.

You have to look up the prices independently and add them together. Again, the NADA price for the "boat" year/make/model is for a BARE HULL ONLY - no motors, rigging, trailer, or electronics at all.
It varries from boat to boat on that. I have seen NADA values where it inludes boat, motor, and trailer. It will usually have an asterix next to the price saying that it includes the boat, motor and trailer for the same year etc...

#8 ·
I am in currently in the market for a new-to-me 21' to 25' wac as well and have been noticing how much at the top of or over NADA a lot of sellers seem to be. Perhaps some are underwater as to amount-owed vs boat-value? Or just trying to take advantage of a perceived spring/summer buying frenzy to try & get top-dollar.

In any case .... I look at NADA as a rough guide and then it's all about condition, condition, condition.

#11 ·
With some things the "book" value means nothing and Boston Whalers are one of those things. Look at completed auctions on EBay to see what they have actually sold for keeping in mind that those are premium (nationwide audience) prices.
Boston Whaler people are rabid and will pay top $ for a prime example. About 6 years ago I looked at a rare 1968 BW Menemsha and did a write-up for a guy in California that I met on a Whaler forum. He and a buddy ended up driving non-stop from California to get it.
That being said, I feel like some people see a pristine model bring big bucks on EBay and they think their boat in half that shape is worth that too. I see a lot of over-priced Whalers and they sit for a long time.

#12 ·
FYI, I just sold a 20' CC for 20k that NADA'd for 13k (boat, motor and trailer)..... YES, those prices on some boats (depending on the area, condition and a host of other factors) are a little out of whack.......... Find a deal that you are comfortable with after a lot of research and make your move....

#14 ·
FYI, I just sold a 20' CC for 20k that NADA'd for 13k (boat, motor and trailer)..... YES, those prices on some boats (depending on the area, condition and a host of other factors) are a little out of whack.......... Find a deal that you are comfortable with after a lot of research and make your move....
I agree, if you find a good one that isn't outrageous better jump on it.
I sold a 1996 Boston Whaler Dauntless 15' about 5 years ago. I had a guy from down towards Appalachicola call me about it and tried to lowball me. He would call back every few days and up the price. One day he called and when I told him that I had sold it the day before at asking price, he got real upset. He wanted it really badly but he was just too cheap to paying my price even though it was reasonable.

#16 ·
Just saw a perfect example on-line of somebody seeing pristine boats go for big bucks and thinking their POS is worth big money too.
A guy was selling an old 13' that had been heavily modified. Had none of the original mahogany in it, all homemade interior. Boat had been painted blue. Looked like crap with a 15 year old motor on it. He wanted $7,000.
His was a $2,000 - $2,500 boat TOPS.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.