Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My brother and I set up about 1PM and fished patiently. We tried sand fleas, peeled shrimp, fishbites, and combinations of fishbites with shrimp. NOTHING. Some were wading far out to cast beyond the bar.

We watched a guy aboard a passing boat; he stopped and cast with a flyrod to a fish he'd spotted. The second cast was successful, and he fought and landed it (10-15 min); a fine Jack Crevalle.

The beach was lined with fishermen; probably 15 rods out. NOBODY we saw caught a fish. It was fairly calm, with light surf and clear water, 75 degrees.

BTW, the Devil Rays were thick. They darted along the waves feeding on plankton, coming right up close to us. Good show.

Technically we caught one fish. A tiny seahorse wrapped around my leader.

Next time? :thumbup:

·
Registered
736 Posts
The seahorse is a super cool catch !

I walk the entire end of Ft Pickens often and usually bring a small spinning reel to sight cast if i see something ......the last few times I was out there I didn't see a single fish.....not a splash, jump or sighting.....and not a single person fishing along the bank caught anything.....not even a trash fish......everyone had good bait ....live shrimp/dead shrimp/fiddlers/mullet/pin fish.....weird !

At least the sunsets are beautiful !

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seahorse is a super cool catch !

I walk the entire end of Ft Pickens often and usually bring a small spinning reel to sight cast if i see something ......the last few times I was out there I didn't see a single fish.....not a splash, jump or sighting.....and not a single person fishing along the bank caught anything.....not even a trash fish......everyone had good bait ....live shrimp/dead shrimp/fiddlers/mullet/pin fish.....weird !

At least the sunsets are beautiful !
I know; beautiful day - no fish. We saw the devil rays jumping occasionally, but not much else. As always, just being there is worth it.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
127 Posts
"Pickens" covers a lot of territory.

Which parking lot?

Did a check of the tide charts.

It looks like you set up on a falling tide, and the pomps could have moved out beyond casting range of most spinners.

The Solunar tables weren't much help either ... .

What was the wind direction? Was there a change that day?

That can shut down a bite in a matter of minutes.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Pickens" covers a lot of territory.

Which parking lot?

Did a check of the tide charts.

It looks like you set up on a falling tide, and the pomps could have moved out beyond casting range of most spinners.

The Solunar tables weren't much help either ... .

What was the wind direction? Was there a change that day?

That can shut down a bite in a matter of minutes.
1. Last parking area before Langdon. We'd caught 3 pomps there 2 weeks earlier.

2. We drove 6 hours that morning to fish (from near Memphis), so we got there when we got there (falling tide). We knew the tide cycles, but did what we did. When you live that far from the fishing you do your best and hope.

3. Wind was light (5-10) from the west and NW mostly. Still, there was a light surf. The wind blew up to 15k occasionally, and the surf increased as the day progressed. Still, conditions weren't good.

The beach was nice, the sun was out, and our chairs were comfy. Could have been worse!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Glad you enjoyed the beach.

No better place to unwind after a long drive.

Thanks for the information ... perspective always helps.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you enjoyed the beach.

No better place to unwind after a long drive.

Thanks for the information ... perspective always helps.
Thanks, Woody. I'll be back down there soon. This time last year I caught fish every trip; just slow this year. And I've had less luck with weather. I usually select the best days possible (that aren't weekends), but even then it's a crap shoot.

I'm thinking they'll be snapping better from here on through May.
:thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts