Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span style="LINE-HEIGHT: 115%; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman','serif'; COLOR: #454442; font-size: 12pt">I am just going to put my thoughts down on paper.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> My view is that of an compliance inspector (it?s my day job) that deals with contingency plans and then validates them. There are multiple failures that happened here but it comes down to 3 main things.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> 1. BP pencil whipped their contingency plan. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes">There plan called for them to be able to handle a release of 6.8 mi gal per day.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> We see how that is working and they made it look good for regulators and then the plan that was never vetted, failed.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> 2.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> The regulators never questioned the plan and in my view empowered not only BP but every other company that drills to do the same by their lack of adult supervision.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> They have their culprit which is BP and can point the finger right there but in reality someone should have done sanity checks on the contingency plan and there is no requirement for alternative method to cap these deep wells other than the one that failed.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Other first world countries require alternative methods. 3<SUP>rd</SUP> which may or may not be true but from what I have read the actual accident is pointing to the workers incorrectly cementing the casing and the capping the well.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> If this is the case then someone or the organization willingly violated standards. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes">ALL OF THIS IS PURELY SPECULATION ON MY PART.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Just putting my thoughts down but I would bet a beer that I am nailing it cold. This event is the oil industry version of the China syndrome.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I'm sure everyone will want to blame the 11 dead workers that aren't here to defend themselves.:doh
I think it is pretty evident that BP down played the possibility of this happening and that something malfunction or whatever. To be honest...it doesn't really matter now. Not bashing you because I know this is hard for everyone to wrap their mind around what has happened.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It does matter, actuallly. There are a lot more rigs out there that pose just as big of a threat. It sickens me that these oil companies, with as much money as they profit off us, are not MADE to take every precaution.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
UnderWater Angler (02/05/2010)It does matter, actuallly. There are a lot more rigs out there that pose just as big of a threat. It sickens me that these oil companies, with as much money as they profit off us, are not MADE to take every precaution.
I'm pretty sure that anything that is better is being ordered to be put into action right now. Hind sight is always 20/20.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts