Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking the other day, and came up with an idea. (starting to feel like Garbo!)

I watched a discovery show on lightning and they said that the tires on a vehicle did not protect it from lightning strikes. What did protect it was the shell of metal that surrounds the occupant.

Apparently the electricity is routed AROUND the occupant instead of through the occupant.

With that in mind, what would stop someone from having an enclosure inside their cabin that would be protective (other than the obvious weight issues)?

Perhaps a Farraday cage or something to route the hit away from the boaters.

What do you think?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I guess it works in theory. I think weight and inconvenience might be a problem. And how much of the boat or superstructure would have to be enshrouded?

These guys seem to have the Faraday cage figured out- Nome and stainless steel cloth.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8d8_1183325005

The age old question about any lightning rod is: Are you actually attracting the strike or just diverting it (the discharge) if it happens? Where's Ben Franklin when you need him?

BT

·
Registered
337 Posts
I heard that the big commercial ships get hit regularly but since they are all metal and grounded by the water rarely is any damage done

1 - 5 of 5 Posts