Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone i have had a ocean kayak scrambler xt angler for 2.5 years now and am looking for an upgrade ... something fast and more useful for gulf fishing ... the scrambler has been great but find myself wanting a new toy and sticking the beat up OC to running shark bait...

What im looking at is the Hobie Rev 13
or the PA 12 ?

What do you all think?:blink:

I have read alot about the yaks but better to ask the people who actually use them for what i want to do with them .. troll / fish in the gulf ... light use freshwater rivers and lakes ...

Just looking for opinions .... the good or bad ... also if you dont like these to what one would you get????

Thanks

Tabers

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
What kind of shape are you in? Pulling the Revo up and down the beach is nothing compared to pulling the PA around. It isn't so bad going out but after a long day of fishing the PA feels like it weighs a ton. If you don't mind pulling the extra weight around the PA is great with the extra room.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im 5'9" 150lbs and can hold my own ... i usually go with friends in the gulf so they would help ... and river/lake fish alone ... so i have already decided to get the wheels for the PA if i go that route ... thanks for your input!

Tabers

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The wheels that Hobie sells help but by no means are they adequate enough. A lot of guys have fabricated their own setups to have bigger wheels to better support their weight. If you get some big wheels and have someone there to help then it makes things really easy.

If there is a boat ramp nearby where I am going I just back my truck down the ramp and drop it in the water. Makes things really easy. If only we could drive on the beach!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I personally think the PA12 is a waste of money but thats just me....I have a PA14 and love it. If I wanted a smaller kayak I would get an outback or revo, not a shorter PA with less room and just as slow. Its not much lighter either. I plan on keeping my PA14 and getting a Revo as well.

I mainly fish the gulf with my PA14 and love it. Only thing I don't like is that it slow. Right now furthest out I have been is just under 5 miles. I plan on fishing some numbers 6-8 miles out soon but would rather do it in a Revo.

If I had to have one kayak it would be a PA14 hands down!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
just a question for the guys fishing from yaks, ive seen a lot of yaks on here for sale at great prices that dont have pedal drive, how important is pedal drive for fishing in a yak.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
just a question for the guys fishing from yaks, ive seen a lot of yaks on here for sale at great prices that dont have pedal drive, how important is pedal drive for fishing in a yak.
Lets just say once you have one you will never want to paddle again!

You can bottom fish without anchoring, handle any situation that requires your hands and still maneuver like fighting a fish while you are trolling to keep your other lines from getting fouled up and the list is too long to type really.

For the people that say "they have owned a hobie and switched back to a paddle kayak" must like paddling more than fishing!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
thats what i figured, im thinking about a future purchase is all, seems like fishing here is all about acess, sadly enough im into light tackle and i dont like fishing from the bridges and piers where its harder to play the drag in a fight or keep the fish under control while the net is being deployed

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
Caddy Yakker is spot on. The PA 14 is as good as it gets, hands down. I've seen Revos on the water and they look very fast. I'd love to have one, but I wouldn't trade the luxuries of the big-daddy PA for one. If I got a second yak, it would be a Revo.

Rufus, I'll tell you the best thing about peddling vs paddling. When it's windy and you're with friends who are paddling traditionally, it sure feels good to wave at them while passing them by....while eating lunch and drinking a beer. For paddlers, the trip from point A to point B is all work. For us Hobie owners, it's time to apply sunblock, rig tackle, eat/drink, cast lures, take pictures, etc. The casting lures part is the best reason though. The ability to fish (and fight fish) while under way is priceless.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Well you can either fish (actively) or you can paddle. You can't do both. If you want to bottom fish it is going to be a lot more difficult if you have to try and keep on the spot with your paddle and be ready to pull some fish off the bottom. It all comes down to how much you can afford. If you have the money for a Hobie you will never regret it. If you can only get a paddle kayak you will still be happy fishing but be secretly wishing for a hobie every time you are out there.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Not a Hobie guy by any means..............if your main use is fishing in the gulf get the Hobie PA 14.
I enjoy paddling my Tarpon 140 inshore and don't consider it "all work" at all!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just go to your Local hobie dealer and demo the models you are thinking of buying. I had my heart set on the new PA12 and went with the PA14 after I tryed them both. I agree with Caddy Yakker on the 12, just could not see the benefits of the 12.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I have the Pa 12 I owned a pa14 before .
The seat on the pa12 is what sold me
No other seat compares. The differance in weight is minimal, but it has made a huge differance for me since I have a really bad knee .

Also I really like how its set up for a fishfinder took a little over 5 min to set up and the transducer is always in contact with the water

Lastly the vantage seat is prefect for sight fishing in the flats just lean forward and the seat is in the high position .

The new pa14 with the new seat is awesome but its quite a bit more expensive.

The best way for u to known is to try em out

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
Not a Hobie guy by any means..............if your main use is fishing in the gulf get the Hobie PA 14.
I enjoy paddling my Tarpon 140 inshore and don't consider it "all work" at all!
I was referring to those windy days, at least that's what I had I mind when I called it work. I paddled for 8 years before I got the PA. Don't want anybody thinking I'm spoilt or anything lol. I have, BTW, run into a few situations (mostly freshwater) where a paddle yak would be superior. Eel grass is a bitch with a mirage drive!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If you want speed, then get the Revo 13. If you want hauling capacity but don't care about loosing speed, then go for the full sized PA 14.

Good luck!
Alex

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have a Revo 13 - it is pretty fast, stable and easy to maneuver on and off the water. You will not be disappointed if you decide to get one. I also have an OK Prowler 13 hanging in the garage. The P13 is a great fishing yak - fast, stable and well designed, but the Hobie always goes in the truck first. The Revo can be a wetter ride, weight capacity is 350lbs so with a normal size person (200lbs) and your gear, you are close to the water. Very minor inconvenience. But this is a water sport...

Pedaling is far superior IMO. I can slow jog for hours without too much fatigue and fish / eat / drink / rig at the same time. I can cover more water and get in more fishing by pedaling. Keep in mind a rudder - on any kayak - will cut down on your effort lost to wind correction.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the great advise and opinions... i will go to the hobie dealer and test a few to see what will fit my needs... The main reason i want one is just as others have said, i found myself wishing i had one on the water about 3 miles out and the wind changed to a north wind at 10mph .... an 1.5 hrs to get out and 4 to get back ... Thanks again guys! Tight Lines!

Tabers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts