Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be getting a pontoon rental business going in Destin in the next couple weeks. Starting with a 21' Sunbird tri-toon. Will add a couple more boats this year. Working on slip rental right now. Also finalizing a name. Pirate Pontoons is on top of the list but still considering a few others. When I get everything set I will put a post and offer discounts to pff members. Anyone that has exp. with this busines that wants to offer any pointers feel free. Thanks Clint

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,445 Posts
If you get a chance, stop by Sherman Cove aboard NAS Pensacola... they've been doing it for years. First thing I notice from observation, the props are abused,... by cheap ones and expect to change them often.

At least give them a call and ask about what they have experienced. Wear and tear, etc.

http://www.naspensacola-mwr.com/water/sherman.htm

Jim

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Shoot JoshH a PM, he can provide some good insight. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
gameaholic (3/31/2010)Thanks will do. I expect alot of prop and waterpump replacement, due to crab island
I don't think Crab Island will be your biggest worry, it's nothing but sand, doesn't hurt props too bad unless you hit somebody else's anchor :doh I'd be more worried about the Destin Bridge and all the rock jetties around Destin during incoming or outgoing tides, trust me I know :banghead

Anyways good luck with the business, seems certain times of the year there is always a shortage of pontoon rentals. Think about how you are going to advertise. It might be a good idea to advertise on http://www.crabislandonline.comand any tourist sites supporting Destin.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
69Viking (3/31/2010)
gameaholic (3/31/2010)Thanks will do. I expect alot of prop and waterpump replacement, due to crab island
I don't think Crab Island will be your biggest worry, it's nothing but sand, doesn't hurt props too bad unless you hit somebody else's anchor :doh I'd be more worried about the Destin Bridge and all the rock jetties around Destin during incoming or outgoing tides, trust me I know :banghead

Anyways good luck with the business, seems certain times of the year there is always a shortage of pontoon rentals. Think about how you are going to advertise. It might be a good idea to advertise on http://www.crabislandonline.comand any tourist sites supporting Destin.
+1 on the advertise at tourist sites. Also make some advertisments to put in the condo's around the island and in destin. At my dads condo on the island there is a big shelf thing that has all kinds of little booklets in it. From snorkeling, dolphin cruises, fishing, ect. Might get some of them made and put them in the condo's. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
jim t (3/31/2010)If you get a chance, stop by Sherman Cove aboard NAS Pensacola... they've been doing it for years. First thing I notice from observation, the props are abused,... by cheap ones and expect to change them often.

At least give them a call and ask about what they have experienced. Wear and tear, etc.

http://www.naspensacola-mwr.com/water/sherman.htm

Jim
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">+1. <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">The toons at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Sherman</st1:place></st1:City>?s look pretty beat up. Not all but some renters just don?t care and abuse the equipment. Ensure you have a good boat inspection policy prior to use and after use and hold the abusers accountable for damage. Good luck with the venture.

·
Registered
14,266 Posts
I think you need a name that fits what you are about, so it googles well, Like "Destin Boat Rental", try it.

Then trygoogling Penscola Boat Rentals, and you will see what I mean.

I have been in the boat rental for 4 years now. Need a great rental agreement, with a double hold harmless agreement within. It really helps on the insurance side of it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've got a rental Business here in PC. Pontoons and a couple of runabouts...... Feel free to holler if you need help or advice about maintanence, insurance or whatever... Good luck man, Advertising is the key.

Josh

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Getting some great advice. I really appreciate it. Trying to get everything taken care of. My rates will be inline with what others are getting, but I will offer a discount to pff members. I am hoping to add a few more boats in the near future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts