Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

My name is Nathan and I'm with Escalate Media. As most of you know by now Escalate Media purchased Pensacola Fishing Forum from Chris about a month ago. We aren't here to make any changes to the community but we are working with Chris to make the site more stable and solve a lot of the technical issues that the site has faced since it was upgraded in April. Chris is still the admin of PFF and runs the community along with the moderators just like he always has.

I know there have been a few questions out there about our intentions so let me just answer a few that keep coming up.

Will you guys sell my info?: Never.
Will you guys have pop up ads?: I hate pop up ads... no way. Never!
Will the community feel change?: Just like always Chris is running this site so I don't see that being a problem.

I'm sure other questions will come up so I'll do my best at keeping up with this thread and answering them one by one.

Now for the Status Updates
When we took over the site we knew there were some technical issues but frankly we had no idea howsevere they were.We have a team of developers on staff so usually we are pretty quick to get things fixed but this forum software is written in a different language than what is common and it's really outside of our expertise so it posed a real challenge for us. After working hard with the developers of the software to get all the errors fixed we finally made the call that we needed to move over to a more stable forum software in order to make PFF a successful and stable site that members will enjoy.It was an easy enough decision to make but not an easy one to act on.There is no export script to move away from this forum software like there are for so many other forum platforms. With that being the case we've been working for almost a month on a custom import script that will take us off this software platform that we are currently on and put us on a stable one that we are very experienced in. This has been no small undertaking though and we've even had to hire some outside help to get the job done.

Long story short... we've finally got a working import script. We have one more small issue to test (which shouldn't be a deal breaker either way) but after that's done we are ready to start the import. We are going to start the import tonight but it's going to take about 24 - 36 hours for the import to run.So, unless there is a major hangup between now and then (which we don'tforesee)... we should have a stable site and on a very fast server by Sunday. From that point forward things should get much better for PFF.

IMPORTANT NOTE
There is one small problem. The transition to our new software platform and server is going to take about a day to complete. Posts made during this transition period may not be transfered to the new system since they will be made while the data is being moved. It's a small issue but please keep this in mind as you post over the next 24 hours. Any really important posts should be saved locally in case you need to repost them once the site move is complete.

A Quick Note About the Transition
Last, I'd like toapologizefor how long this transition has taken and how it's been handled. When Chris and I first spoke about how to do this we both agreed on waiting to let people know what was going on until we had a final solution in place and we were ready to make the move to the new platform. I don't think either of us understood at the time that this was going to take as long as it did. I should have changed our plans and notified you of what was going on earlier so people didn't worry but I failed to do so. Hopefully moving forward the communication will be better.I know this transition is unsettling for some of you and I know we have to prove ourselves to you. I'm looking forward to doing so.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I like what I've just read moreover than I have experienced since the transition/sale.

Good Luck and look forward to the NEW PFF final fix.

Jimmy

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Hope the new final fix will make it easier and faster for us. Sometimes I don't have but a few minutes and I usually just logged off until another time. Thanks for the info post! We appreciate it!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I suggested this to Chris over a month ago, so I'm very glad to see it finally happening. NOW, the big question...what format are you going to switch it to?

Thanks for taking the time to explain things. People are generally much more receptive to change when they understand what is happening and why. On the other hand, making promises you can't keep (sorta like BP), generally work in the opposite direction, so I can understand waiting until you had the correct solution to the problem first.

Thank you Nathan...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Patoz (26/06/2010)NOW, the big question...what format are you going to switch it to?
We are moving to vBulletin 3.8 which is the best forum software available. There is a newer version of vBulletin (4.0) but I think we learned that the latest and greatest isn't always the best solution. vBulletin 3.8 is EXTREMELY stable and we are very experienced in supporting it.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
We appreciate you taking the time to spell it out to us simple fishermen and women. I surely hope it works as planned because it has been a major frustration for some time now.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Welcome Nathan...

Thanks for clearing things up and getting the forum back to normal. I see alot of people complaning about the forum but i havent had any problems. I did what i was told to do with the cookies and stuff and its been good for me.

I have to log in every morning, even though i save the info i still have to re long in every morning.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
that's the only problem I've had on my home pc once I cleaned it up is I have to log in once daily regardless of how many times I get on......I would venture to say, everyone may still need to clean out their pc's again after the newupload is complete........not sure though.....

basically,when you try and login, your saved data in your pc's will be InstantASP based info and will probably conflict with the new format ofvBulletin until you clean the old data out.......just a thought to be prepared for

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
THANKS FOR THE ANSWERS TO SOME Q'S AND I HOPE THAT THIS SOLVES THE LOGIN PROBLEMS THAT WE'VE BEEN HAVING. EVERYTHING ELSE SEEMS TO BE WORKING FOR ME,WHEN I CAN GET LOGGED IN. IT HAS GOTTEN BETTER AND I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO IT GETTING BETTER.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick Update. Everything is going well with the import so far, but it is going slow. We are about 50% of the way there so I expect this to take another day to complete.

Thanks.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, things didn't exactly go as planned. We did the import (which took about 36 hours to complete) and once it was completed we found some errors. All of the dates on the posts were wrong.The good news is we found the problem and started re-running the import about 2 hours ago. So far that data that has come in looks good so hopefully we are on the finalstretchnow.

I'll keep posting updates as I have them. Sorry for the delay.

Thanks,Nathan

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Thanks for the update Nathan...I must be one of the lucky Pffer's, NO problems here...but I'm no computer guru so as long as I may log in,view and post as I please, I'm good.

Again, good luck with the conversion!

Jimmy

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
thanks for the info, nathan. i'm a newbie on this forum but have had few problems except for the login and opening the forum .aspx pages. i updated ie 8 and it seemed to work better. login was better before the server problem.

for the members who couldn't wait for the fixes and left the site. :crying

jack2

·
Fishing Goddess
1,072 Posts
jack2 (28/06/2010)thanks for the info, nathan. i'm a newbie on this forum but have had few problems except for the login and opening the forum .aspx pages. i updated ie 8 and it seemed to work better. login was better before the server problem.

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="text-decoration: underline;">for the members who couldn't wait for the fixes and left the site. :crying

jack2
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="text-decoration: underline;">They didn't really leave...there are now two sites and a lot of folks joined GCFC so that they could stay in touch since they were not able to through PFF. I am sure most of them will continue to use both sites when PFF is back to working the way it was before all the "changes" took place. There are still a lot of folks who can not, for whatever reason, access PFF. For them GCFC is a way to keep up with what is going on since much of which is posted here on PFF is also posted on GCFC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts