Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Bearded Brotula
15,717 Posts
Is this MrFish guy some kind of known thread troll here?
This has been gone over for years and we've heard all the gloom and doom. Glad you came back with that idiotic idea of getting to take endangered fish out of season whenever.

·
Bearded Brotula
15,717 Posts
The feds declared both species that you listed as endangered. Doesn't matter if I believe it or not. They aren't going to give you your pass to shoot them out of season, but by all means waste your time asking them.

Reactions: stevenattsu

·
Bearded Brotula
15,717 Posts
Might as well let them have cobia too for lion fish, there you go an endangered trifecta
Hell, why not a manatee or a dolphin.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Is this MrFish guy some kind of known thread troll here?
Oh man, he's the lowest of the low, scummiest of the scum doesn't know how to fish, BBQ, drink fine bourbon or sell realestate, drinks Natty Lite with convienence store stogies (rumor has it Swisher Sweets) but I did hear he's pretty good at taking down double-aught regulators though.....

·
Registered
864 Posts
The Emerald Coat Open is this weekend (May 13 & 14). This is the largest lionfish tournament in the US and each year has yielded anywhere from 12-24K Lionfish in a single tournament. While I don't expect it to make a huge impact, at least there are efforts underway locally to incentivize the harvest. We dive a ton of public spots on a regular basis, will clean off a spot and come back 6-8 months later and find another 5-6 on it. This will be our 5th year in the tournament and we've placed in the largest category every year. The good news is that many of the spots that are within 120 feet don't have a ton of lionfish on them. Past recreational limits, my guess is they are all over the place.

Here is just a few that I shot from the 2021 tournament

·
Bearded Brotula
15,717 Posts
If I shoot 10 snow geese, can I shoot wood ducks or mallards year round? Maybe shoot me one of them roseate spoonbills with my coupon? The feds should be good with that. I bet Boardfeet and JohnB will sign my petition.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I’m fully aware of that but do you honestly think killing 50 lions justifies killing a jewfish? You know, the fish that just became legal to even take out of the water?
I'll ask again - 50 is only an arbitrary number for discussion starting purposes.

What number would be acceptable to you then?

·
Bearded Brotula
15,717 Posts
You get 5 extra mingos over bag limit for every 50 lions. They eat better than them Goliaths anyways.

·
Bearded Brotula
15,717 Posts
You should really be arguing with the Gulf Council, NOAA, etc. I know we solve the world's problems around here, but even if we all agreed with you, we don't have the power to grant this. Same ole shit of bitching on a forum and not talking to the decision makers. I remember this same thing with red snapper years back. Before you go on about that, I have a binder full of letters communicating with my state Senators and Representatives. Along with Alabama Marine Resources.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The Emerald Coat Open is this weekend (May 13 & 14). This is the largest lionfish tournament in the US and each year has yielded anywhere from 12-24K Lionfish in a single tournament. While I don't expect it to make a huge impact, at least there are efforts underway locally to incentivize the harvest. We dive a ton of public spots on a regular basis, will clean off a spot and come back 6-8 months later and find another 5-6 on it. This will be our 5th year in the tournament and we've placed in the largest category every year. The good news is that many of the spots that are within 120 feet don't have a ton of lionfish on them. Past recreational limits, my guess is they are all over the place.
This is cool. Very nice work on that.

I will pray for good conditions for you and good luck!

21 - 40 of 80 Posts