Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry to hear that. It seems like every other day someone is getting there possessions taken. It is getting ridiculous. Why did your renter's insurance not cover your loss?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. I hate a thief. I hope they catch them and cut off their hands.

Now, Silver, not to be mean but it could have saved a lot of people a lot of time trying to give you good advice if you would have provided all of the correct information about the burglary and the insurance in the first place. You probably don't have renter's insurance because the renter pays for that and you would know it. Your aunt is probably claiming it under her homeowner's insurance that has a high deductible. And yep, you always have to prove that you owned something before you can claim that it was stolen.

Also, something else isn't quite right here. I'm sure the LEOs are looking into it but, don't you think it real strange that only the renter's area was burglarized and not the main house? If after breaking into the renter's area they discovered that much electronics, first greedy inpulse is to bust the main house for a heck of a lot more of the good stuff. But it didn't happen. I'm guessing that someone "real close" to you knew the electronics was there and either took or a friend of his took it. Best friends and girlfriends are ideal people of interest, and the perp may even be closer than that.

Good luck with finding the slimey b---t---ds!

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Silver (3/2/2010)So after talking with my mom I found out more info on the insurance deal.
My aunt is my landlord, and the deal is that they only gave us 2k worth of theft recovery on our policy, which is not even a quarter of our stuff. So that's the deal there.

The insurance company is Universal insurance, and the adjuster that came out there said that we had to have pictures and proof of everything (before we found out that we only had 2k worth of coverage), and that if we didnt have a picture/receipt/box then they wouldn't be giving us any money for it. So I HIGHLY reccommend to everyone that they take pictures of all of their stuff!

@badfishermen It happened between 5:30 and 8:30, and they busted in my back kitchen window, opened my sliding glass door and came in. They didn't vandalize my house at all, but they were bold enough to walk out the front door with a whole entertainment center full of stuff. The police tried fingerprinting but all they got was a partial print from a gardening glove.

@nextstep We installed a full alarm system yesterday so this won't happen to us again, not that i've got anything for them to take :/

Thanks everyone for all of their help and well wishings, i really appreciate it!
This is BS.I would never sell a renters policy with 2K worth of theft coverage.On a DP-1 which is what I assume you have, Unless you asked for reduced coverage you should be covered up to the total amount of contents coverage provided on the policy for theft.

I find it very unethical of any agent to even recommend reducing theft coverage on a renters policy.If you have any questions give me a call and I will do what I can as far as pointing you in the right direction to try and resolve this for you, including getting the agent to provide a copy of the policy showing where you signed an exclusion or amendment requesting reduced coverage.If they cannot provide that for you thats the end of that and you will get paid.There are many other things I can help you with as well, just some info I have seen work in the past when Carriers try and screw insureds.

You need to know most of the time the first time you file a claim where there is any grey area, they will deny just to see if they can get away with it.Don't give up before you talk with me.

850-862-8644 Dan

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Fishhound (3/2/2010)I am sorry for your loss. I hate a thief. I hope they catch them and cut off their hands.

Now, Silver, not to be mean but it could have saved a lot of people a lot of time trying to give you good advice if you would have provided all of the correct information about the burglary and the insurance in the first place. You probably don't have renter's insurance because the renter pays for that and you would know it. Your aunt is probably claiming it under her homeowner's insurance that has a high deductible. And yep, you always have to prove that you owned something before you can claim that it was stolen.

Also, something else isn't quite right here. I'm sure the LEOs are looking into it but, don't you think it real strange that only the renter's area was burglarized and not the main house? If after breaking into the renter's area they discovered that much electronics, first greedy inpulse is to bust the main house for a heck of a lot more of the good stuff. But it didn't happen. I'm guessing that someone "real close" to you knew the electronics was there and either took or a friend of his took it. Best friends and girlfriends are ideal people of interest, and the perp may even be closer than that.

Good luck with finding the slimey b---t---ds!

In my next message I explained that I was a bit confused on the situation, and provided the right information. Sorry it wasn't 100% correct, I've NEVER been through something like this before, and am not familiar at all with the insurance game.

It wasn't only my stuff that was stolen, that was the master list of what was stolen out of my house. Some of the stuff was my roomates as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This picture keeps changing its focus.

I'm really confused now. So the thieves did break into your mom's house, as well as your rental, correct?

And the list of stolen merchandise, was a list that included your stuff, your roommates stuff, and stuff stolen from your mom's house, correct? Who lost the bulk of the goods? Mom, you, or roommate? Was anything other than electronics taken?

And the policy of insurance is a basic homeowners, or does it have a renter's rider?

Now coming into focus; your roommate is also your girlfriend or your best friend, correct?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have not seen a policy that requires pictures or receipts to make a recovery. It is much better to have them than not, butnot having the photosgoes to the weight of the evidence of your claim to be considered. Typically, you execute an affidavit provided by the carrier. You can look to your credit card company who can search back several years for you to help you substantiate your claim.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sent Michael a PM with this info and figured I would post here too incase it could help somebody else.

When you do a google search if you word it like this-----Sony 42 inch site:craigslist.org----- it will pull those key words and return all the listings from craigslist, and only from craigslist, or anyother site the you place after "site:". Just a faster way to pull lots of results rather than going to each craigslist page. Its a long shot, but maybe it will help.

My wife told me that two houses were hit in FWB located in the neighborhood behind Dennys. Hit in broad daylight, in a 2 hour span between someone being there. The other house was in broad daylight as well, they EMPTIED it while the people were at work. People are getting bold and unless neighbors look out for each other it is too easy to happen. I think these guys rely on the fact that neighbors dont always talk and lookout for each other or even know each other anymore.

Jeff

·
Registered
119 Posts
!

[/quote]

So do you have renter's insurance or not? From what you say here it sounds like you are trying to use your family's home owner's insurance. If that is the case, then no they are not going to cover it.

If you were paying for a renter's insurance policy on your own, they would and should cover it. In your first post you stated that the renter's insurance would not cover it. But in this quote it does not sound like you had renter's insurance.

Agree! Sounds like you failed to purchase renter's Insurance whereby your contents are covered. Family or whomever that actually owns the home would have only coverage for the home and believe me, since it is not their primary residence, their coverage is different than if it were. Good luck!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Fishhound (3/2/2010)This picture keeps changing its focus.

I'm really confused now. So the thieves did break into your mom's house, as well as your rental, correct?

And the list of stolen merchandise, was a list that included your stuff, your roommates stuff, and stuff stolen from your mom's house, correct? Who lost the bulk of the goods? Mom, you, or roommate? Was anything other than electronics taken?

And the policy of insurance is a basic homeowners, or does it have a renter's rider?

Now coming into focus; your roommate is also your girlfriend or your best friend, correct?
To me, it sounds like he is renting a house from his aunt. The house that he is renting got broken into. Stuff that belonged to both him and his roommate was stolen from the house that he is renting from his aunt. He has been talking to his mom (his landlords sister or sister-in-law) about the situation to figure out what is going on with the homeowners insurance that his aunt has on the house that he is renting from her....
Also kinda sounds like he thought that normal homeowners ins. would cover as a "renters ins." (Which I also was never aware that renters insurance is actually a separate policy that the actual renter must purchase...you learn something new everyday)
I might be missing the picture, but this is what I gathered from my reading perspective

It sucks when people steal from you! I had my vehicle broken into when I was 18 (they cut my soft top). They stole everything (camera, gps, cds, cd player, sub, tools......) which was around $3000-4000. It's hard to trust some people after something like that! Hope everything works out on your behalf!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
We got a call from the detective a couple hours ago saying they think they caught the guys, we find out for sure in the morning but they were talking about a house with big snakes in it (my cousin/roomate is a zoologist). Will update you guys, keep your fingers crossed!

·
Registered
954 Posts
On a RDP the policy limits are an agreed apon amount between you and your agent. There would be no reason to buy a policy for 2K. There may be a policy limit of 2K on electronics?? That is common. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll review your policy with you.
George

I dont sell anything! I just help peopleclose claims!!

·
Banned
910 Posts
Don't know if this is related but I hope so. :bowdown

http://www.local15tv.com/news/local/story/Four-Arrested-Suspected-In-At-Least-50-Burglaries/BmexxdJEy0-VnMlQC4s8iw.cspx?rss=217

PENSACOLA, Fla.) - Pensacola Police have arrested four people who they say are connected to at least 50 residential burglaries.

They say the four, ranging in age from 16 to 23, were caught Thursday afternoon breaking into a home. Investigators say the suspects have stolen thousands of dollars worth of electronics, jewelry, cash and guns. Some of those items have been recovered, and police are working to identify the owners.

The rash of burglaries began in December in East Hill and North Pensacola.

Arrested are Shane Michael Williams, 23; Christoper Darnell Powers, 19; Jamarius Lanier James, 18; and a 16 year old.

Police say more arrests are expected, as are more charges against the current suspects.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts