Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally made the plunge and bought a kayak. I ended up getting a new wilderness systems tarpon 120. Figured it would be a good all around yak to start out in. Took it out on the water today and it handled great. Only had it out for about 45 minutes because its freaking cold but I landed 7 bass. The yak felt really stable and was really dry.. I'm 5'8 150lbs so I'm sure that helps out some. I plan on fishing mostly in the gulf and some inshore. If anyone wants to fish when it warms up let me know!! Im looking forward to meeting some new people and catching a shit ton of fish! :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,151 Posts
Congrats on the new buy!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.. and yeah once it warms up im going to play around in the surf and practice some re entries.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Haha getting your "yak wings" I like it...got mine last year on a tarpon 160....felt like I had a kayak magnet on my head because the yak and my skull kept meeting as I tumbled in the surf.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Just don't get them while throwing a jig at a cobia... In front of a packed beach... Twice. I know a guy that did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
Just don't get them while throwing a jig at a cobia... In front of a packed beach... Twice. I know a guy that did that.

Missed that one.... Story here? Or is it already posted on the forum.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Searched and couldn't find it, but I'm sure I posted it. Might as well share my pain again.

I was fishing the GCKFA tourney last spring, and had been getting whipped up on all day. Whiffed on a nice cobe that was under a turtle before the cobia navy moved in. I decided to move in closer and cruise the second sand bar, hoping to spot one. As soon as I got set up, I see two brown blobs cruising towards me... And one of them was a tank. For some reason, I decided that it would be a good idea to stand up to make the pitch. It landed, and the big one turned and started heading towards it.

Remember the cobia navy I mentioned? We'll, at that moment a nice roller one of them kicked up hit me broadside. Splash.

I would not be denied. I could still see the fish, and the Hobie that was potentially tied to his tail. I jumped back in with the agility and desperation of a great cat who had also been plunged unexpectedly into cold water. On my knees, back on board, I could see them still swimming slowly, steadily. I could also hear people on the beach laughing. I was undaunted.

I put everything I had into that pitch. It looked perfect. The trajectory, the length, everything. At this point in the story, it's worth mentioning that it's only been about ten seconds since I fell out the first time... Ever seen a boat only throw one wave? Me neither.

When the wake hit me again, I was still on my knees. As the yak dipped into the trough, I went with it. Flat on my back, back into the water. When I popped up, the fish, and my spirits, were gone. I paddled in and loaded up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks just installed a scotty rod holder on the front track today... it was super easy now debating on if I want to put my fish finder on the tracks or in the center?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took it out for the second time over the weekend.. went out in the sound this time and messed around. Was able to stand up and paddle around on my first try. Really starting to get a feel for it... Plan on messing around in the gulf next time once this wind dies down!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts