Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had Decided to celebrate Memorial Day by sleeping untill noon.......................Forgot to silence all the phones and got a call from the Daughter around 9:00,saying they were gonna go out to Gulf Islands National seashore and hang out?????

Well since We were now up and it looked liked the rain was gonna stop, We threw a few Fishing related things together and Drove out to meet up with them andgive the surf fishing thing Annother try..........Stopped by Goin Fishing Tackle to get some shrimp and ice on the way........

Got everything down to the beach about 12:00 and the first shrimp in the water shortly after..........about twenty minutes later, my rod bowed over and the Penn 850ss started loosing line slow, but continously. after getting it to where I could start retriving line, it didn't take long to land a big ole Sting Ray............Although dissipointing, it was still kinda cool to fight theBig olebeast...........................While waiting for somthing to happen, I had thrown out annother rod with a peeled fresh shrimp on a #2 circle hook ( 7' med action rod w/ Penn 450ss and 20#Power Pro braid). After about 45 minutes, My first Rod started giving up some line really fast. I got things turned around and for the <span style="text-decoration: underline;">First time ever, I got to feel how a pomp fights. Seems like he changed directions about a hundred times racing from side to side as he became visiable in the surf. He fought with everything he had untill he ran out of water and found himself in the sand......................While I was trying to measure him and remove the hook, My med action rod started missbehaving and spewing line out like crazy. What followed was about as I described a moment ago, Only about a dozen times more action and speed and excitementon the smaller rod........................Got them both in the cooler and had to wait about a hour to land #3.........

All in all, it was a great afternoon of fishing. I finally got to put something that I have tried unsuccessfully many times behind me..........................

Forgot to bring a camera, so had to wait untill we got home to take some photos.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Great job! I threw some pomp jigs this afternoon after only one whiting this morning. I did not have the luck you did but I had a great time at the beach with my girlfriend. Glad to see someone is catching some good eating fish.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the aftermath of some cuttin, cleaning anda little exposure to some heat...........................Dinner for two and one in the freezer for annother day..................YUM!!!

·
Super Moderator
27,931 Posts
Good times w/ family and to catch some edible critters makes it a plus!!! Way ta put food on the table brother!:toast

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Yeah, I'd say that would be a fun fight for sure! Great pics too! I'll get back out soon and get a few. I bet the one on the light rod was truly a blast to land! Great job!

Tight Lines!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts