Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Capt Dickhead
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the invite to hunt with Jimmy Madden (AKA Jimmy-Buff-it)at his club Sat morn. We had done a little work up there Fri afternoon, and he told me to meet him the next morn at 5am. So 4:15 rolls around, and I'm headin out the door, call Jimmy to see what he want's from Whataburger at 5 points, and no answer. I waited a few minutes and tried again, no answer. I figured he forgot his phone, or just forgot to turn it on, so I grabbed breakfast and headed to the gate. Gate's locked (members only), so I pull off to the side and wait. about 5:15 or so sleeping beauty calls and says the alarm must have malfunctioned or something like that, and he's on his way. So he gets there in record time and It's on. We get signed in and dressed and head to the spot a fellow member has allowed me to hunt. I got settled in right at 6 and started ranging the area. Remember this is my first time in the woods with a bow, and I've been practicing alot, but a target and the real thing are a huge difference and I feel like 30 yards is my max for now. I'm sitting in a ladder stand with a rail over looking an almost dried up pond with lots of tracks, like its a deer highway or something. Well Mr Amos, the one who let me hunt here,told me I had to be ready, cause they dont stay around very long. At 6:45 I heard something other than the birds that were making all kinds of noise. I looked up about 12 o'clock from my position, and see two does, the first being the larger of the two. They were coming in from the heavy underbrush moving to my left at maybe 20 yards. they both had no idea I was there, so I stood up and got my bow in position in one motion. now they are at about 10 o'clock and moving away slowly, still without seeing me. I took a deep breath, and pulled back my bowstring and caught the leads eye. She looked in my direction but not right at me and this put her at 32 yds broadside quartering away a little. I released a little breath, put the pin on the spot, and pulled the trigger. I heard my arrow fly through the woods for a good distance, and she and ther other turned back into the brush with a quickness. Well I figured I've heard plenty of stories of seasoned veterans missing, so I wasnt ashamed of missing, dissapointed, but thats about it. I sat until 9 hoping for another chance, but I didnt see anything else. So I climbed down and went to check for blood and hopefully find my arrow. Did I mention I was sitting on a nearly dried up pond?? apparently this particular pond is where every mosquito in Santa Rosa county is hatched, good god man you couldnt take a breath without inhaling a small swarm!! Anyway, I get over to the spot where she was standing, and theres blood!!! I called Jimmy on his cell to let him know I hit one and was going to try to find her.So I did my best impression of a tracker, and followed the trail about 20 yds and then the woods opened up with 5 or 6 trails all leading in different directions and I had lost the blood trail. I remembered hearing her run a big loop back towards the right, so I started with the right most trail first. 15 feet in and no blood so I tried the next trail, and found the blood trail again! I had to get on my hands and knees at this point to get through the brush, and then back on my feet looking for more. A pine had fallen across the trail and I found the back half of my arrow, and a bunch of blood. Looks like she had some trouble jumping over that tree. I looked up and saw her about 10 feet ahead at her resting place!! WOOOHOOO, my first bow kill, and she looks bigger now than when I shot her!!So I started hauling her back towards the road where Jimmy is going to pick me up when I hear him whistle for me, I called out over here man, I need some help. Man I tell you what, that is one cool cat, he was as exited for me as I was!! So we hauled her out, holy crap I need to start working out, and got her back to the cleaning shed and weighed her (100 lbs even)took some pics, and started processing her. I had a late morning obligation I had to go to, so I asked Jimmy what could we do to put the cleaning off until I got back. Well it was to warm to let her sit, so being the friend that he is, Jimmy cleaned my deer for me!! Before ya'll start with your comments, I didnt want to leave at that point, but I had made a promise to my 7 year old neighbor that I would come watch his last football game of the year. Thanks again Jimmy for everything, if it wasnt for you taking me under your wing and teaching the things you have, I wouldnt have a chance at all!!

By the way, Zoomin Newman, called me to go on that tuna trip where they wore em' out, but I had already had these plans. Looks like I would have had a great weekend eithere way!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Tony, congrats to you on your bow kill. I have been in that same stand & it is beautiful in there. Mr. Amos has been helping me with my son Zac. He was going tohunt that stand but he was too short to shoot over the rail. Amos has got to be one of thegreatest guysI've everbeen around.He has taken Zac under his wing.

Thumbs up to you & Jimmy !!!!!

PS. There's something about your little ID box photo that makes me keep going back & looking again. I'm trying to figure out what it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Capt Dickhead
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I cant wait till my next chance!!

George, that bow is one bad mf'er

Chad, you are right, Mr. Amos is one of the good guys.Maybe one day I'll get a trophy you can mount for me, in the mean time, I'll keep trying to fill the freezer!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Chad, It's been a long time!! I don't know if you remember but, you did my cape on the Pie Bald I shot in 2000! It still covers my chest freezer. I've been tryin to get a wall hanger but nothing to brag about yet! I have loaded up the freezer with several Does I've shot this year with my new Matthews Drenaline!

Tony was looking to get into Bow hunting so I hooked him up on myPearson Bulldog!! I could help but get a friend into the sport. You cant replace that 15-20 seconds of adrenaline!!

Guys wear your safty harness!!

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
Sounds like a greattime Tony, I wish I could have watched you drag that deer back thru brush!

BTW

Wasn't that youI saw atBeef O Brady's just after lunchhaving a few beers, eating chicken wings while Jimmy was cleaning the deer??

:takephoto:

·
Capt Dickhead
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dammit BP, I thought that was our little secret!!

I'm on hold waiting for my next chance to sit in the woods!

Man this stuff is addictive, still trying to figure out how momma's handling the new lifestyle??!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Congrats Tony!! That is a good club Jimmy is in. I hunted with him a couple of years ago and saw a bunch of deer. That is a good feeling to get your first with a bow.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Tony congrats! Man I am stoked that you killed your first one! I guess that little talking on the Blue Marlana did some good.

:bowdown

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Voodoo Lounge (11/12/2007)Dammit BP, I thought that was our little secret!!

I'm on hold waiting for my next chance to sit in the woods!

Man this stuff is addictive, still trying to figure out how momma's handling the new lifestyle??!!

Way to go Tony, heck of a job. First trip and a Kill, that is impressive. And BTW, hunting is the only thing that gets me through this time of year. If I am not smelling saltwater I better be smelling doe pee. Congrats again Tony, good luck next time as well.:clap

·
Super Moderator
28,142 Posts
Congrats to ya Tony!!! Glad another un bit the dust!:clap:clap:clap

1 - 19 of 19 Posts