Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my Dad died, I cleaned out his shop and, believe me, it was a chore--not one I really minded but still a chore. I plan to start cleaning out my shop tomorrow. Probably take months but I don't know how much longer I'll be able to do the job myself. Every time I start cleaning it out, I find another project to play with. Ever sorted screws, nuts and bolts to evade the real cleaning project? Stainless, bronze, cad, brass, galvanized? SAE, Metric, Coarse thread, fine thread? Then there are the various sizes. Too many distractions. Umm, that reel needs a new drag, etc.

I gotta get organized.

Nope, I gotta mow my son's lawn. Oh well, someday soon.

My son said he'd piss on my grave if he had to clean out my shop. I can't have that happening.

·
lees way2
1,328 Posts
Capt Ken I know what ya mean. I went to Oklahoma with my wifes BFF to get her aunts place ready to sale. A single lady for the last 20 plus years,and it was wild. It made me start dumping stuff/bargins that I have gathered over the years. I started the day after we got the uhall unloaded with the stuff she and her daughter wanted.I still have a ways to go but its one small step at a time. You are in my prayers sir.

·
lees way2
1,328 Posts
I know what ya mean. I have got rid of a lot of stuff I did not even know I had. I just dont want my son to have to deal with it. Whats left is his and if he dont want it he knows where it is to go.

·
Super Moderator
28,373 Posts
Yeah, I'm in the process of organizing...it's rough but I'm liking the efforts on my end...I can actually see sections of my countertops in my shop now. I'm cleaning out all the cabinets and vacuuming the roach crap and snake crap right now. Gotta get some kind of roach poison to take care of that issue...Not worried about the snake crap!

Reactions: lettheairout

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
I have two barns now, trying to keep the new one junk free but doubtful.

I tell my son and grandson it will be there problem one day.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Yeah, I'm in the process of organizing...it's rough but I'm liking the efforts on my end...I can actually see sections of my countertops in my shop now. I'm cleaning out all the cabinets and vacuuming the roach crap and snake crap right now. Gotta get some kind of roach poison to take care of that issue...Not worried about the snake crap!
Call john have him come do a big treatment. I think you have his number

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,373 Posts
Call john have him come do a big treatment. I think you have his number

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I bought some bait do hickeys....we'll see how that goes. :yes::thumbsup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
My parents kept my grandparents house when they passed....and not too many years later my parents passed. So I am trying to do this with two homes that are hours away from me. I loved my family dearly, but this is a tough burden I will admit. Good on you Capt. for trying to not leave that for him! I hope I am as wise and prepared in the future for my kids.

·
Registered
12,777 Posts
I say leave it alone. Your son will either sell it all, set it on fire, or just walk away. I think it is a rightt of passage for a son to go through his father’s shed. Seriously, I wouldn’t worry about it. If your son doesn’t want the stuff then he will open the doors and post a sign that say “FREE.”

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I say leave it alone. Your son will either sell it all, set it on fire, or just walk away. I think it is a rightt of passage for a son to go through his father’s shed. Seriously, I wouldn’t worry about it. If your son doesn’t want the stuff then he will open the doors and post a sign that say “FREE.”
Pretty spot on !

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
626 Posts
I cant fathom going through my fathers basement... he has tools for 3 people
Enough hardware and doodads to start a store

And the really bad part is so do I lol

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
As a bit of spite, I am leaving it all a mess, friend and the wife can curse all they want but in the end it will be fun for them and I do not have to worry about it!

·
Praedator
9,977 Posts
As someone that has had to deal with the death of a father that didn't leave any plan or any words on his wishes etc... I can say that to leave more for grieving family to do after your death is just wrong. So unless you just want to make matters worse, do what you can while you are living to make it easier on those left!

It's a hard conversation to have! But have it! Ask now what they would want you to do! Have the conversation about what will happen once you are gone with all those that love you! Dealing with all the unknowns after a family member's death just adds to the pile!

Just my humble opinion of someone that has went though it and seen others have to deal with a bunch of crap left in a barn/house etc...

Again, my opinion on the matter only. It's not right or wrong. Just my opinion.

If your goal is to create trouble and more because you have ungrateful children and family members, then by all means go for leaving everything a mess for them to deal with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts