Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for this time of year?

We don't have a boat so it will be limited to the pier, bridge, or some stocked ponds somewhere.

Just want to enjoy fishing, don't have to fill the cooler, but do want to catch a few.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would suggest going to the Bob Sikes Bridge. The fishing pier on the Gulf Breeze side is open and you can catch a variety of fish from there. How old are the boys?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Well if you don't care of the quality of fish.......the pig fish are all over bob sykes right now. Just used dead shripm and a number 4 circle hook. That's a 4 not a 4/0. They will catch them left and right. There is always a chance of catching a blue or white trout too. Bring a bigger set up for your self and throw out a chunk of pig fish. Use a 5/0 hook and about 2 ozs weight (depending on current). You may hook into a nice bull!

·
Topwater Bluefish fan
1,276 Posts
go to the gulf skyscraper (beach pier). bring some mullet, frozen, fresh, etc. don't be shy, half of a 8 incher will do nicely. bring 14 to 20 lb. spinning gear and 4/0 to 6/0 circle hooks. circle hooks are great for kids because the fish sets the hook.

dress warm, and have fun.

oh, and some type of drop net will come in handy. those bull reds can get heavy !

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
I definitely do strongly suggest that you take your sons fishing. Go to outcast and see if they can put you on some fish and Have fun.If you will invest time now you will not have to repair a broken boy later.

·
Banned
910 Posts
I definitly agree with konz. The pig fish at the Bob Sikes are like drunken prom dates, a sure thing. Plus there are many other types of fish that may be biting. Hell the pig fish get kind of big out there. Perfect for the young uns'. And you can put some bigger bait out for yourself and don't have to constantly tend to it so you can be teaching the boys. Then when that big bull red hits your pole you can show them how it's done.

Bottom line is just do it. You will never meet a person that says they wished they never taught their kids to fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts