Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since I bought my 2003 21'Palm Beach it has a heavy list to the left. I was told that I could put trim tabs on it, but I really would like to know the reason of WHY?? I have ruled out sloshing gas, unequal loads, and wind.. I am at a loss. The boat runs like a dream other than this. I have heard of maybe the torque of the engine, but I have Yammi 150 V6 2stk. Its a great powerful engine, but come on.. really. So I am leaning toward the trim tab option anyway b/c the boat will ride better. So instead of putting a bandaid on the situation, I would like to understand it. Oh and it only does this when riding flat out on the back bays in the Gulf it is straight up and down.. Thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Ruling out the typical things you mentioned....

Check the zinc/trim tab on the motor mower unit located right above the prop. It is adjustable. It's really used more for steering feedback, but it can help.

You may have a hook in your hull. This occurs when the boat is on a trailer or lift for a long time and the bunks do not extend past the transom. Over time the transom will actually start to sag under weight of engine. I know this sounds far fetched, but it does occur and it doesn't take much to create the condition.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Pretty common. My Sailfish does the same thing to the stbd side on plane. A little tab adjustment takes care of it though.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Is your engine all the way down or is it tilted up some? My old boat would list until I trimmed the motor up.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Call the company and ask. They should have the original marine design and tell you the cause of the hull listing to the left.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2003 22ft cape craft however mine is starboard list. Only after about 15+ knots is when I have the listing problem. Trim tabs fixes it but still a pain. Moving weight to the left side helps because im about 210 lbs on the starboard side.

My engine is counter rotate, this is funny because you have a port side list and im assuming standard rotation right? Could you tell me if your list occurs all the time or just under way?

I also wonder is your hull rated at the HP you have on your boat? I think its powered right on a 21 footer though.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Is your engine all the way down or is it tilted up some? My old boat would list until I trimmed the motor up.
There are a couple good answers here. But it's really as simple as your hull design. Hence the reason aquahollic stated his would stop at certain trim. That's because if i had to quess, aquahollics hull he was talking about had "chines" designed more aggressive toward the stern. By "trimming out" he allowed his boat to have close to only the last quarter of the boat in the water. That's why in calmer conditions this will take more effect. In rougher conditions your hull isn't allowed to sit still long enough to have ,as much, of an effect on listing, but still some.(more related to weight, from your offshore gear) Your palm beach has a deep v with almost no chines running farther to the front. And i'm not positive, but probably not too much near the transome. Palm beach has a hull design closely related to the early cape horns. Straight V' design with no chines. (can anybody relate to how bad an early "wet horn" will lean? I can...:thumbdown: The fix to your problem is trim tabs........never leave home without them.....every boat should be standard with tabs. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Assuming it does not list at rest? If you have any blind compartments, some boats do, you may have accumulated water somewhere. It may shift when you are moving. I had this, but had a definite list at rest and underway, with noticeable speed loss. Otherwise, above suggestions may be the path.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the same issue on my 2003 22ft cape craft however mine is starboard list. Only after about 15+ knots is when I have the listing problem. Trim tabs fixes it but still a pain. Moving weight to the left side helps because im about 210 lbs on the starboard side.

My engine is counter rotate, this is funny because you have a port side list and im assuming standard rotation right? Could you tell me if your list occurs all the time or just under way?

I also wonder is your hull rated at the HP you have on your boat? I think its powered right on a 21 footer though.
My buddy Cliff was asking which way the prop rotated. I think that its in a clock wise form.. I never really thought about it. And it only is once on plane at about 20mph.. I'm at a loss.. if we are charging in the Gulf it rides like a champ.. if its a crusin kinda day, well we list. I have found that turning to the right will pull it up, but when I straighten out it goes back to left.. Oh and the hull is rated for power up to a 175HP. I really feel that the 150HP is plenty. I can plane out in less that 4sec, and in the Gulf its a beast.. I am still leaning toward the tabs, just need to decide on electric or hydralic. I have heard that boats 21 and up need them, and with mine being 21 maybe it will cure my problem.

·
Registered
749 Posts
horsepower has nothing to do with it. If that was the case then a 22ft bay boat with a 300hp fourstroke would flip over sideways. All you need is set of electric tabs. No upkeep

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are a couple good answers here. But it's really as simple as your hull design. Hence the reason aquahollic stated his would stop at certain trim. That's because if i had to quess, aquahollics hull he was talking about had "chines" designed more aggressive toward the stern. By "trimming out" he allowed his boat to have close to only the last quarter of the boat in the water. That's why in calmer conditions this will take more effect. In rougher conditions your hull isn't allowed to sit still long enough to have ,as much, of an effect on listing, but still some.(more related to weight, from your offshore gear) Your palm beach has a deep v with almost no chines running farther to the front. And i'm not positive, but probably not too much near the transome. Palm beach has a hull design closely related to the early cape horns. Straight V' design with no chines. (can anybody relate to how bad an early "wet horn" will lean? I can...:thumbdown: The fix to your problem is trim tabs........never leave home without them.....every boat should be standard with tabs. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:
BayouGrande,
Well I have decided on trim tabs for sure. I will say that the ride is not wet at all. My Carolina Flare is amazing. It has helped. so I guess the real question is.. Electric or Hydralic now right?? LOL!! it's always something isn't it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aquahollic, the engine is trimed up when we are cruising. not excessive though just enough to keep us cruising above the water.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Assuming it does not list at rest? If you have any blind compartments, some boats do, you may have accumulated water somewhere. It may shift when you are moving. I had this, but had a definite list at rest and underway, with noticeable speed loss. Otherwise, above suggestions may be the path.
Hey Flappin, I guess it could be a water issue, but would my bilge take care of that. It works, trust me..

·
Registered
749 Posts
BayouGrande,
Well I have decided on trim tabs for sure. I will say that the ride is not wet at all. My Carolina Flare is amazing. It has helped. so I guess the real question is.. Electric or Hydralic now right?? LOL!! it's always something isn't it.
Glad you decided on the tabs. I wasn't refering it as wet like a older cape. I was just talking about the lean. But...............just for a fyi.....that's not what's called a carolina flare.
:thumbup:here's what they call a carolina flare

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts