Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have not had too many trout days as a primarily Gulf fisherman, but yesterday beat my personal best 23-inch beginner's luck 1st trout that I had caught 2 years ago. I'm not sure what is considered a gator trout, but this one was 26-inches:

I caught and released this 24 1/2 incher:

I also caught a 19-incher and a couple of 15-inchers during the morning as well. I have done enough trout fishing to know not to "catch and tell" where you caught your fish, but I have to say that I enjoyed this inshoreouting on a 3-foot surf day.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Nice fish !!!!!!!!!!!!! That to me is considered a GATOR trout. Some of the best eating !!!!!!!!!! Good you released him.Now my son or me can have a stab at him.Thanks for posting

Scott

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Hey man Nice TroutI seen you out there Sat. morning.I was the guy wading next to you and your buddy!! I caught a 23 incher that morning. Nice fish

·
Registered
741 Posts
Kreg thats a gator for sure! I wonder who was your buddy out there with you when you caught<span style="FLOAT: left" id=EmotIconctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlPostControl_ctlPanelBar_txtPost_smMenu onmouseover="InstantASPRichTextBox.prototype.showMenu('ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlPostControl_ctlPanelBar_txtPost', 'EmotIconctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlPostControl_ctlPanelBar_txtPost_smMenu','EmotIcon', false, false);" onclick="InstantASPRichTextBox.prototype.showMenu('ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlPostControl_ctlPanelBar_txtPost', 'EmotIconctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlPostControl_ctlPanelBar_txtPost_smMenu','EmotIcon', true, false);"> it

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Nice job Kreg! She was a gator for sure. Good on you for releasing the rest of the big girls. That way they can make more babies for us to catch later.

May I ask about bait used?

Alex

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only kept the one and it was delicious! No comparison to the kings I usually catch. I caught them on various live bait since I have not graduated to artificials yet. Since you are scientist Alex, I'll go a step further and put them in respective order just for you: Croaker, pinfish, pigfish and 2 shrimp.

When I went by Hot Spots Bait and Tackle in Feb '09 to check it out, they had not opened there doors for business yet. Iasked Chris to please carry pinfish since no one carried them around here! He had already planned on doing just thatAND carry croakers. All of the baitshops had pinfish where I lived down in Tampa and I'd rather be fishing instead of worrying about catching bait.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Just as I suspected. Good choices too, especially the noisy ones.

You can't beat a topwater at sunrise for excitement. Sure you'll have a lot of swings and misses and may not get great hookup ratios. But working a spook or topdog during a calm/still morning over glassy water and suddenly seeing it all go to hell when fish start going KABOOM!!! That'll get your blood racing. I prefer to fish BIG topwaters: TopDogs, SheDogs, Super Spooks, etc. I have a 7.5inch Super Spook Magnum but I just haven't gotten around to throwing yet. That last one might be a bit excessive...

For after the topwater bite dies or if you want to get better hook-up ratios, an 1/8th oz jig with a fluke or shad shaped soft plastic is hard to beat. Also a DOA shrimp about 3-4ft under a cajun thunder is a good one too. I also like 3.5-4.5inch yo-zuri shallow diving crankbaits twitched fast over a change from sand to grass or vise-versa. I better stop there, cause I could go on and on.

Alex

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So when the trout misses the topwater, what should you do? I have heard different theories including keeping "pluggin" away so it is like bait trying to escape to let it sit there for 5 minutes and barely twitch it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts