Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new climber a few weeks ago and took it to BW the other day to practice. It definitely took some getting used to and I was tired when I got to 15 feet. I was so noisy with it I probably scared off every deer within 10 miles lol view was nice so I sat for a little over an hour. Is 15 feet high enough and what's your preferred tree to climb?
Thanks

ForumRunner_20131021_180857.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Forum Runner

·
Super Moderator
19,605 Posts
20-23' bow hunting. High as I can for gun, sometimes 35-40'. If you are getting up around 30' for bow you are shrinking the kill zone on a deer dramatically.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a pine and I felt a little higher would be better. The one I picked was out in the open so I felt very exposed and probably stuck out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
I have a pull rope that's 30'. Try to not go much higher. You will get quieter and higher each time you go. I love getting up high in a pine where I can see a long way

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

·
Super Moderator
28,141 Posts
I look fer a pine next to a hardwood....food/cover from a hardwood. Bow I climp about 15-20, gun hunting I'll climb as high as I can get....I have a 50 ft. para chord as my pull rope and have maxed it out a couple times....

Just remember as you climb the tree shrinks, so make sure it's adjusted on the ground cause it's a PAIN to adjust it in the sky!!!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I look fer a pine next to a hardwood....food/cover from a hardwood. Bow I climp about 15-20, gun hunting I'll climb as high as I can get....I have a 50 ft. para chord as my pull rope and have maxed it out a couple times....

Just remember as you climb the tree shrinks, so make sure it's adjusted on the ground cause it's a PAIN to adjust it in the sky!!!
Yep. Always have your climber angled up at the base of the tree.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
15 ft is good if u have enough cover behind u. But like splittine said I like to be around 20 ft up but I also killed my biggest deerwith my bow about 12 ft up at 10 yards

·
Registered
415 Posts
I used to climb as high as possible...still will if I need to, to see further. But most my lock-ons are 12-15' with lots of cover, never get busted. Cover is #1, if cover is scarce, hight will work. I've bow hunted 8' off the ground in thick swamp and had deer walk under me. Just can't move, deer key in on movement big time. I would probably still be sitting with my head in the clouds, but since switching to traditional archery, I need my target as close and forgiving as possible.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would get comfortable at 20 I'm sure. Just need to get used to the climber and know what I can and can't do in it safely. My only concerns so far are the buckles and straps for the seat and the platform is kinda small. Overall seems pretty stable.

·
Super Moderator
12,568 Posts
I usually don't get higher than 20 feet for archery. Like Splittine said, the angle increases so much and makes your shots awkward.

Gun hunting I have a 40 pull up rope... I climb until my rope doesn't touchbor the tree gets too skinny to climb.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner.

·
Hell Yeah!!
191 Posts
I usually look for a tree with a branch or two at 20-25 feet. Pine boughs work well to break up my silloutte and I can hang my pack and bow sometimes. The key to being comfortable is your harness. When I was dumb, I used to not put it on until I was up but now I ALWAYS put it on before I climb. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Before I wore a harness 15ft. was my max, but since I wised up the last couple years and started with a harness 20-25ft is about right for me with a gun. Having a harness gives you the piece of mind to climb higher for a better view.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I like to find two or more pines close together to help break my outline....Sometimes you get lucky and find a pine that grows into a large oak...Before you climb a new tree look to see if you are going to have good shooting lanes...I've climbed up before and found out where I was expecting deer to show from was blocked by limbs ,bushes,etc.....I also like to find a small thicket and jack up on one side of it and be able to look over to the other side....The deer never look my way as they are looking away from the thicket.......Good luck and be careful.....Practice being silent and take a small limb saw for those damn spurs that always get in the way......

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys I really appreciate all the advice. It was definitely a lot harder than it looks using it at first. I'm just gonna take it slow every time to be as safe and quiet as possible. The harness is a bit clumsy for me but that too takes some getting used to. Now to fine tune everything with a little more practice. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
28,141 Posts
If you go out and climb up and down a tree 5 times in a row....I promise you'll realize you use different abdominal muscles you never knew you had the next day....good luck brother!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you go out and climb up and down a tree 5 times in a row....I promise you'll realize you use different abdominal muscles you never knew you had the next day....good luck brother!
Yeah I was definitely sore as hell the next couple of days legs mostly

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
By the way... what climber did you buy.....? I have summits..open shot,180,viper elite,blade sd......I really like how easy they are to attach to a tree how easy they are to climb with......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts