Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not up to snuff on the current muzzleloaders. Going to be buying new so which one would you go with?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Anything from T/c. Cva is my second choice.
Ford or Chevy type of discussion. My friend has a CVA that he loves and T/C Omega is my choice. Just be sure to go .50cal, not .45cal.

The key is your load recipe and bullet type. I use Black Horn 209 powder instead of the pyro pellets. BH209 is cleaner burning and you use regular gun solvents for cleanup vice soap/water for pyro. Also, BH209 is not corrosive so you don't HAVE to clean up the same day you shoot like you do with pyro. Drawback of BH209 is that it's granular, so you have to measure it out vice dropping 3 pellets down your barrel. You can solve that by carrying pre-measured charges in the field...TC makes cigar type tubes to hold the powder, primer and sabot/bullet.

My recipe for my TC Omega (deadly out to 150, no holdover):
CCI 209 shotgun primer
105 gr of BH209 powder
Harvester Crush Rib Sabot (easy loading and accurate)
250gr Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ bullets (throw away the sabots that come with it and use the Harvesters)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have owned them all. It is a personal preference. Some people hate the TC because of the low stock to cheek. CVA accura V2 has a cheek on both sides of the stock. You need to try the fit for you on any weapon you buy. Of all I own I still hunt with an old flintlock rifle. Creature of habit. lol

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
thompson center omega, 50 cal stainless preferred over the z5

·
Registered
932 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Big fan of the TC omega. I've got the stainless fluted barrel with the thumb hole laminate stock. Love it

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Not sure how much money your wanting to spend chad but I bought a CVA Wolf last year for $169 and through a cheap scope on it and that thing shoots great. For the amount of ML hunting I do I just couldn't see spending a bunch of money on one. Your welcome to shoot it one day if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Not sure how much money your wanting to spend chad but I bought a CVA Wolf last year for $169 and through a cheap scope on it and that thing shoots great. For the amount of ML hunting I do I just couldn't see spending a bunch of money on one. Your welcome to shoot it one day if you want.
Yep. I bought one for $140 about 6 years ago. Just put a $54 scope on it at the beginning of this season. Kills em deader than a hammer handle... Just like the expensive ones. With the open sights, I could put 10 of 10 shots into a phone book at 125 yards. I havent shot it much with the scope, but I did kill one opening day about 15 mins after getting into the stand. So, less than $200 and it gets the job done... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Like everyone said I know I picked the highest ones because those are some great muzzleloaders but you can get some for $150 and a decent scope and the muzzleloader shoots 2 inch groups at 100 yards. It will easily be 150 yard gun. Honestly how many of us shoot deer over 100 yards here in Florida anyways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts