Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of y'all may seen a few post from me latley. I am very new to this sport, and hope to have a kayak withen the next two weeks. My question is what would you consider must have accessories to fish out of a kayak. I probably won't be in the gulf to start with, but will be in the bays and estuaries. Any advise will be greatly appriceated, and hopefully soon I will be posting pictures of fish insted of just asking questions.

·
Registered
380 Posts
a PFD. And wear that mother-lover. waterproof (proof-not resistant) box for wallet, phone, pictures of your mama, car keys, etc.. Cooler for bait and fish. Ask me what sharks do to stringers of fish... A small (I really mean small-space is at a premium in a kayak) tackle box. A compass, whistle, light,..

·
Super Moderator
27,942 Posts
What GBT said....also lip grippers, pliers, knife, measuring board, light (if night fishing duh), small bat if trying to catch cobia/kings, ohhh most important thing-----fishie poles!!! hahaha

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If the budget allows I highly recommend an inflatable PFD. My old bass boat life jacket got waaaaay too hot out there paddling around last August. I like the soft sided ice chests because they fit in easier and are much quieter and you can lay stuff on them and it stays put. I also like to carry a few zip lock bags to put used lures and assorted trash in to bring off the water. (I don't like a lot of loose fod laying around on the deck).

·
Yakadoodledo
412 Posts
Last week I was advised to get a VHF radio. So I did. $99.00 at Dick's.
That is beside all the other stuff listed above.
Seems some folks also like to carry a small radio or mp3 with speaker.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got myself on a stranded situation about 10 days ago, and because I wear my safety vest and I keep my VHF radio (floating and waterproof of course) on me ALL THE TIME, I was able to get help and come back home.
I sure learned several lessons that Sunday, as I lost a lot of fishing gear.
There are so many cool fishing gear out there that you'll have the chance of going crazy with all the available options.
Whatever you decide to buy, please invest on some good safety gear first, it pays for itself!!!
Have a blessed fishing season :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts