Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized I have lots of muscadine vines scattered throughout my property. Anyone have a jelly recipe or anything we (wife) can make? Thanks

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Ingredients
  • 6 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 quarts filtered water
  • 1 quart mashed muscadine grapes
  • 1 (1/4-ounce) packet active dry yeast

• In a large, cleaned and sanitizedgallon-size glass container, dissolve the sugar in the 3 quarts of water.

• Mash the muscadine grapes.

• Add 1 quart of the mashed fruit to the water and sprinkle the active dry yeast over the top. Cover with a coffee filter or a cheesecloth. Do not stir.

• The next day, stir the mixture and then stir it every day for a week. Make sure to replace the coffee filter or cheesecloth after you stir.

• Strain the liquids into another clean and sanitized gallon container with an airlock of some type.

• Fill with additional water to come up to the top of the gallon container.

• Let the wine ferment for 6 weeks.

• Strain again and bottle in a clean gallon container.

• Cap lightly for 3 days to allow for any more fermentation to cease.

• Cap the bottle and store the wine in a cool place.

• Serve and enjoy!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well Played Bill , I would rather have yours than mine any day LOL

have also been watching my muscadines but they are still green

hope this helps
I make Low Sugar Preserves with a 2 1/2 Lb bag of these , juice from one lemon , 1 1/2 cup of sugar and low or no sugar pectin. for these my best tip is = Wild Blueberries are thin skinned and you do not pick them out of your teeth like the regular ones. they have more flavor also. I do not mash them on purpose and reduce them as much as possible . as you can see a tea spoon would have 40-50 berries easy
20200802_012903.jpg

Reactions: SHunter and K-Bill

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
do your vines produce every year? i had some on my property that had grapes some years and didn't some years. neighbor told me that they only produce every other year. sold the property, so never got to verify.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Ours produce every year, some are better but it’s probably because they haven’t been taken care of in 20 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,384 Posts
I've cut and destroyed so many of em its silly!!!! Got them EVERYWHERE and I usually just let the birds eat em...alot of em are too high in the trees anyways!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've cut and destroyed so many of em its silly!!!! Got them EVERYWHERE and I usually just let the birds eat em...alot of em are too high in the trees anyways!
mine are always small but all over the 31 acres and many get bush hogged , love to watch the doe's eat them from our porch

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,987 Posts
One thing to point out, IF you do mash the grapes, try not to crush the seeds. If you do, it'll change the taste of the jelly, moreso with the taste of wine, if you make that. A few seeds won't matter, but the more that's crushed, the bitter the taste can be.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I freeze some of mine whole in ice cream tubs and eat all year. We grind skin, seeds and all for smoothies. Mix with an orange, an apple, banana and a few blueberries. The skin and seeds have most of the antioxidants.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts