Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Managed to crawl out of the sack early enough yesterday and have a line in the mullet hole a little after 6 o'clock. This was a solo trip. Another boat got there a few minutes after I did. I fished until 9:15 and quit without getting a single bite. Same for the other boat but they stayed with it after I headed to the hill.

Called a couple of our club guys who were fishing specks/reds at the river delta. They were in Mitchell River and reported several short specks and reds, and two keeper specks. They went on to bream waters after the sun got up a bit and kept 10 bream and sheelcrackers.
Another club couple fished Hogtown a few days ago and had a good bit of activity. They brought home four really nice keeper specks.

I can't figure specks in this hot weather/water, but apparently a few are being caught. I have rarely fished them this time of year.

Anyway, this morning we will start off with specks, but taking the bream buster to use after the sun gets up a bit and the speck bite stops. No matter what we won't be staying out there long after it gets hot.

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Failed to connect this morning although we saw the sun rise over the cypress lined shoreline. Fished the same areas as my two friends did yesteday (one with me today), but the speck bite was nil. They caught a bunch of shorts and two keepers. This morning it was one short speck and that was it.

However, we experienced a phenomenon that neither of us had ever seen on Choctawhatchee Bay, and we have fished the bay since we were kids.

We were in the Mitchell River/ Jolly Bay area and noticed water spray flashes in the morning sun far across the bay toward Cypress River. We figured 'birds' but the distance was too great to tell for sure so headed that way. Sure nuff, a huge bunch of birds and pelicans were having a feast and didn't pay any attention to us as we slowly approached.

Right off we began hauling in fish....but they were saltwater catfish. Thousands of them! They circled the boat right up to the sides. LY's were flying everywhere and birds were diving only feet away. They were so thick I actually fowl hooked several We just looked in amazement and were so focused I completely forgot to grab my video camera. What a photo op missed! Dang. Of course this lasted only for maybe a minute or two , and they began to calm down and move away. When I remembered the camera it was too late.

We ended the day with six small bream for river catfish cut bait, 1 short red, and a bunch of salt cats that were released. Just one of those off days for catching, but still blessed to be able to get out there and enjoy the outdoors.
God is Great!

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm guessing you were in the mouth of Mitch. Caught a lot of lady fish my last time.
Plenty of ladyfish yesterday at Mitchell mouth, but none today. They are great fun to catch if they don't cut your line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts