Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a cheap starter cast net for Mullet fishing , and wondered if anyone had any tips on where would be my best bet to get one. I know Wal-mart, and Academy Sports both have some cheap ones. I have never owned or used one before, and am looking for something to get started with.

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
Don't get a cheap one they are made different than good ones and the cheap ones wont open like a good net. Do a search on the forum there was a guy that made them and had somewhat of a good reputation.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Talk to Jimmy at Johnson nets. He is a forum member and has some used nets you might can try and learn on. He can also help you out and show you some tricks on throwing them also. give him a call @ 432-5262 or email him. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
++1 a well made net

Pie construction - made from triangular panels of webbing (rather than the lower cost"wedding cake" constructed nets - though nowadays this type of construction is most found in cheap bait nets)

Look for compact knots where the panels are stetched together and where the lead line is tied on - No burrs to hang up or catch

Suggest a bag net - rather than a braille net for your first - you will spend less time untangling and more time throwing

Not too heavy - less than 1 lb per foot radius

The depending on your height and builda 8 or 9 footer is a good starter - bigger net for a taller fisherman -

As you get better you can move up to 10 or 12 foot mullet guns

And Practice, practice practice

·
Registered
184 Posts
What are u lookin to do, u gonna wade or throw off the dock? i got a guy of 10 1/2 mile who charges 13$ afoot ties every knot himself with inch and quarters mesh so u dont gotta mess with the pinfish allday, but like they said i wouldnt get a cheap one cause they suck but just be safe with it and dont throw it where u shouldnt

·
Registered
408 Posts
It is hard/impossible to net mullet in any water over a couple feet deep with a bait net. Does not sink fast enuf.

I know you are trying to save $$ but you will be $$$ ahead to go ahead and buy a quality mullet net.

imho

·
Banned
2,215 Posts
Captain Badfish (3/2/2010)i agree, but i quit buying expensive nets cause it seems like they rip easier. i personally dont think they are any harder to open, but i've been throwing for almost 10 years.
Far from the truth. Throw a cheap walmart cast net, then throw the equivelent sized custom net and tell me there isn't a difference.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Here is a video to help you learn how to throw a cast net for beginners.

I like to throw a little bit more expensive net it will be weighted better and open nicer and have less bulk in your hand when your setting up to throw.

Also I might add... a bigger net is easier to throw then a smaller net, a 10 foot is a good choice. GOOD LUCK!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOUk...586FE813&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=7

·
Registered
3 Posts
What are u lookin to do, u gonna wade or throw off the dock? i got a guy of 10 1/2 mile who charges 13$ afoot ties every knot himself with inch and quarters mesh so u dont gotta mess with the pinfish allday, but like they said i wouldnt get a cheap one cause they suck but just be safe with it and dont throw it where u shouldnt
Does this guy still build these nets? I am in the market for a new mullet net and would love to have one hand made. I have been trying to reach Jimmy at Johnsons but not having any luck. Any other recommendations for a builder would be great.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Mullet Nets

I built and sold handmade mullet nets for some 60+ years but not any more. Just afew repair jobs on a selective basis. I still have several sets of handmade nylon webbing for nets that I never finished. I still mullet fish with a 50+ year old handmade nylon braill net. It works just fine.

My advice is to buy your net from a builder. That way, you can fondle, and even throw it before buying.

The second is that a builder knows local conditions and will buiuld a net to meet those requirements.

True; it will often be more expensive in the start with, but over the long run will be more satisfying.

A happy mullet fisherman is our goal. JMHO C2

·
Registered
262 Posts
I got one from Navarre lumber, locally made, excellent net and I have owned several over the last 40 years. There was a lady in gulf breeze making good ones but I cant remember her name.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I recently bought a net from Half Hitch Tackle 8711 Navarre Pkwy, Navarre, FL 32566 » Map (850) 939-9885. It is a 10 foot mullet net. I don't know if it was made locally or not. The difference between it and a walmart net was night and day. It hasn't tangled on me yet where the Walmart net would get tangled constantly.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Baileys Farmers Market on Davis Hwy. had some nice looking hand made nets a while back. Don"t no who built them or the cost.

·
189 Posts
Net

Best bet is learn to make your own. I learned as a teenager 50 years ago. Never have bought one. Cheap to make and fast with experience. A few nights of tying while listening to the TV and about $30 worth of material (make my own leads with scrap) and I have a net I want, not one someone else thought was okay. I make my wadeing nets 9 panels and bridge nets 11. Most available nets are 6 panel. Remember that's only two away from a square.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts