Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what size is best and if its an advantage or disadvantage of having brails 80lb, or 120 lb,, Are the brails larger in Diameter, which makes putting all of a larger net in your hand when you make it up, or are they basically the same OD (diameter), I pier fish, and am looking at new nets, and wanted to hear from someone that does and has done a lot of throwing. I live in Navarre.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I recently picked up a new one at a yard sale. Don't know the specs on it, but if you want to try it sometime I can meet you by the bridge.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Not a pro but have been throughing foe a few years the brails realy dont make a difference in the size of the make up its the size mesh.

·
Super Moderator
12,804 Posts
all i know is that if you're gonna be throwing off a pier this time of year and need alot of fish, then get a custom net built, most of the people i know throw 14' 22-26lb 1 1/2" mesh ...

it usually takes 4-6 people to lift them up on a good wad... and even w/ 100lb braille lines, some will break, so use 150

·
Registered
512 Posts
The size mesh you go with really depends on the type water and size fish your after.I have several different size nets with different mesh,i like bigger heavier nets for places like pickens pier where the water is deeper,then i use smaller mesh and lighter nets for my spring/silver mullet.You should find someone you know that has a net and try it out to see how the weight they have on it feels and go from there.Good luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
It really all dependso on what you are going for and what weight you have the net at. I generally use 80 on most of the nets that I have made myself. I put 100 on my heavier net just in case I get into a big wad of fish .As far as mesh size it depends on what you are goin for. Silver mullet I would use 1" mesh and Black or Roe mullet I would say 1 1/4" mesh is good. For lenght it all depends on you and weight depends on you as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts