Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, new to the forum but had a question I was hoping you all could help me with. I'm interested in getting in on the mullet run in the winter. As I understand it, I need to get my commercial hook and line license, and than sell $5000 worth of fish to get the mullet/ mackerel endorsement, to begin making some money. I was just wondering what would be the most economical way to get the first $5000 worth of fish probably Ladyfish, or sheepshead, was just curious what you guys thought. Thank you, and any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Alabama's commercial fishery is a tough one to start out in. There's still a few gill netters over there and they will flood the market and shut it down. Hook and line is just not an effective way to catch fish in enough quantity consistently, where a market will mess with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am mainly interested in the mullet season in the winter. I know the gill netters will make way more than me. But 3000 pounds of mullet on board with around half of em females, will still make for a pretty good day. I know it wouldn't be year round income, and I know it's always a gamble, but it's what I want to do. I was just curious of the fastest way to 5000 dollars worth of unrestricted fish, which I would think would be ladyfish, but thought someone else may have a better idea, or some other input.

·
Bearded Brotula
14,190 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
You will get $0.65 to $1.00 for lady fish. There shipped to the Asian market in California. But the lady fish run is over and if you dont at least have 500 pounds there not going to mess with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I figured I wouldn't be able to get enough for the mullet run this season. I'm trying to plan to start around the first of next year, that should give me plenty of time to catch what I need for the mullet,mackerel endorsement. I know there's other options, just figured ladys would be the quickest way to that amount.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
If there's a will there's a way but, that $5000 will be hard. Before you start make sure you have a market. Most are very very Caucasus when "new" people start coming around to sell fish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I know the first 5000 will be tough, once I got the mullet/mackerel endorsement it wouldn't be so bad. And yeah that's a good idea didn't put too much though into that Steven, I appreciate the advice. And no not hook and line, cast net, the license is a hook and line license.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Negative. Never seen or heard of people buying that shit.
My buddies have video on there phones of 2000lb + sets on lady fish. You can sell just about everything. I know for a fact certain seafood houses that would rather low ball and buy from a teenager with out a license that is just wanting gas and beer money.
Those floating cities that set nets for animal food and everything else are not culling nothing. Nothing!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My buddies have video on there phones of 2000lb + sets on lady fish. You can sell just about everything. I know for a fact certain seafood houses that would rather low ball and buy from a teenager with out a license that is just wanting gas and beer money.
Those floating cities that set nets for animal food and everything else are not culling nothing. Nothing!
Well at least I won't have a problem selling my catch when I get it lol. And I figured ladyfish would be the best way to go until I can get the mullet/mackerel endorsement. And hmm you must be referring to bon secour? lol

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Well at least I won't have a problem selling my catch when I get it lol. And I figured ladyfish would be the best way to go until I can get the mullet/mackerel endorsement. And hmm you must be referring to bon secour? lol
But there making a set with a gill net not a cast net or rod and reel

·
Registered
237 Posts
People buy ladyfish?

"Ladyfish are one of the fish most anglers would never eat, but most have eaten, and lots of them. Ever have a California roll at a sushi restuarant? That strange fake "crab" meat stick in the middle, yep, you guessed it. Made of ladyfish. But if you've ever cut into a ladyfish, and seen the weird green meat, soft like toothpaste, you might never eat another California roll". - Ben Raines @ the ADSFR

1 - 16 of 16 Posts