Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Same principle that I use to air layer. When I do this with camellias I use plastic grocery bags, electrical tape, aluminum foil, and a bucket of wet sphagnum moss. I select a good sized branch then scrape the bark down to white color, put the sloppy wet sphagnum around the area, wrap with the plastic bag, then I wrap with aluminum foil and tie off the ends with the electrical tape. I do this in the spring before it gets too hot and leave until autumn to cut and re-plant. All bets are off if we have a storm that year. I have been doing this for years and I don't lose many. I hadn't thought about figs but good idea using those Gatorade bottles, and they certainly look neater than the aluminum. Thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Air layering. Works well. I just use old plastic Gatorade bottles and wrap them in black plastic. I have only done it on fig trees. I know it would work on the Mulberrys and should work on the Cataipa. I would give it more like a month at minimum. Let us know how they do!

View attachment 1077807

View attachment 1077808

View attachment 1077809
Good to know, I will let it go for a couple more weeks I couldn't find anything to tell me what time of year to do it, so I guessed spring, sap rising, that sort of thing, I'll take some pics if it works. Thanks for the information.

Reactions: MaxxT

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Just heard this from neighbor. Going to need to move one I planted.

Do not plant mulberry trees near septic systems, as they have invasive roots. Consideration to their mature size also needs to be addressed; unless you are planting a dwarf variety, most mulberry trees will attain a height exceeding 30 feet tall and equally as wide.

Here’s one link but many more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
29,094 Posts
Just heard this from neighbor. Going to need to move one I planted.

Do not plant mulberry trees near septic systems, as they have invasive roots. Consideration to their mature size also needs to be addressed; unless you are planting a dwarf variety, most mulberry trees will attain a height exceeding 30 feet tall and equally as wide.

Here’s one link but many more

Tree???? I thought it was a bush! hahaha

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,349 Posts
Jody, I've not signed in since last week when I picked up the mulberry bush. I really appreciate it. Thank you.

You're going to need to top it every so often to keep it from getting 30' tall.

I have a 4x4 planter box that I use to root cuttings. If I see a plant, bush, tree, I cut a piece, and immediately put it in a bottle of water. When I get to the house, I poke a hole in the (4x4 box) dirt where it's going, then I'll cut off about 1 inch at the original cut, stick into some Rootone powder and put it in the hole, cover, water well. I have great results doing this. It used to be so fertile that I could cut ghost peppers, tomato's, fig, etc stems and plant them w/o rootone, and they'd root. Now I have too much stuff in it now that's used up alot of nutrients and I really need to re-do it. I use a large mixture of black-cow, black-hen, and fertilized mulch.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Itll be a tree if its never pruned. Find the height that works best for you. Keep the top cut and trim it around. Itll bush out instead.

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls.
Put that on your calendar each year, so you can do these at my house.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Put that on your calendar each year, so you can do these at my house.

Not a problem. We will trim them after they fruit out. That 1 will be a few seasons until it needs trimming.

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls.

·
Super Moderator
29,094 Posts
The one I planted, I checked today,,,,dang deer stand on their back legs to reach the new growth popping up!!!!!! I put a camera on it and probably won't get a pic of any deer on it!!!!!!

61 - 72 of 72 Posts