29,094 Posts
Whatever!

Here we go 'round the mulberry bush
The mulberry bush
The mulberry bush
Here we go 'round the mulberry bush
On a cold and frosty morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never sung that un,,,,,,,Snakes love Mulberry bushes but hate Mulberry trees so you may wanna just drop em off with me and I'll take care of em, you know treat em right and call em by their strong powerful name instead of some wimpy bush.....haha

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Never sung that un,,,,,,,Snakes love Mulberry bushes but hate Mulberry trees so you may wanna just drop em off with me and I'll take care of em, you know treat em right and call em by their strong powerful name instead of some wimpy bush.....haha
I don’t have anymore poisonous snakes on my place, I killed the last one.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
all around the mulberry bush, the monkey chased the weasel.
the monkey stopped to pull up his sock
pop, goes the weasel.
jack

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Thank you Corpsman for the Mulberry Tree/Bush. You have a great looking yard. I will keep you posted how the plants do in my yard. I don't particularly have a green thumb but I do like to try new plants. I learned from a lady on Lee Street how to air layer camellias and I have good success most of the time.

I think the resident Southern Black Racer is more interested in keeping the rodent population down rather than her eating the sweet Mulberry fruit. Snakes don't bother me except for the venomous types and I have enough sense to stay clear.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Corpsman, Thanks for the tree...best way to care for it? water. fert and location to plant? Looks like it came from great stock. Outside9 was kind enough to transfer it to me this AM. PM me your paypal so I can send to some $ to buy potting soil!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Corpsman, Thanks for the tree...best way to care for it? water. fert and location to plant? Looks like it came from great stock. Outside9 was kind enough to transfer it to me this AM. PM me your paypal so I can send to some $ to buy potting soil!
You are very welcome. No need $ my friend. The root system on the tree is not fully established yet, but it's best to get it in the ground before it gets too hot. Plant it somewhere in full sun. Just try to preserve as much of the soil in the pot that is around the roots as you can when you put it in the hole. You shouldn't have to amend the planting hole much, the potting soil in the bucket should be enough to keep it fertilized for awhile. Water it in really well when you plant it, and keep it watered until the roots are established. It if tries to fruit this season, pick them off, so the plant will concentrate it's energy on developing roots and foliage. You should have fruit next summer. Good luck. If it doesn't make it, we will try again next spring with a new plant. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
You are very welcome. No need $ my friend. The root system on the tree is not fully established yet, but it's best to get it in the ground before it gets too hot. Plant it somewhere in full sun. Just try to preserve as much of the soil in the pot that is around the roots as you can when you put it in the hole. You shouldn't have to amend the planting hole much, the potting soil in the bucket should be enough to keep it fertilized for awhile. Water it in really well when you plant it, and keep it watered until the roots are established. It if tries to fruit this season, pick them off, so the plant will concentrate it's energy on developing roots and foliage. You should have fruit next summer. Good luck. If it doesn't make it, we will try again next spring with a new plant. Good luck!
Thank you, yes it has fruit on it now so I will pick them off, a very healthy stalk, I see where they can be grown in pots, you ever done that?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
hey, maxx, i think i can answer this question. i had a mulberry tree in my back yard at my previous location. it had a diameter of about 18 inches and about 25 ft high. as has been stated, these are not bushes, they are trees. so if you want to keep it in a pot, be prepared to transplant it several times.
jack

Reactions: MaxxT

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
What Jack Said. If not pruned aggressively, it will grow into a full size tree. Does me not good if i can't reach the fruit! I would plant in in the ground for sure.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with cloning balls, I bought some and have one on a catalpa tree right now, it's supposed to go 2 weeks for enough roots to form, I'm interested to see if it works.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
I bought some plums over at a nursery in Milton a year or two back. Going to try and figure out which one it was and try them first.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Has anyone had any experience with cloning balls, I bought some and have one on a catalpa tree right now, it's supposed to go 2 weeks for enough roots to form, I'm interested to see if it works.
View attachment 1077791
Air layering. Works well. I just use old plastic Gatorade bottles and wrap them in black plastic. I have only done it on fig trees. I know it would work on the Mulberrys and should work on the Cataipa. I would give it more like a month at minimum. Let us know how they do!

41 - 60 of 72 Posts