Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
My neighbor let the popcorn trees take over his property years ago. I kill all I can find. If you are serious about wanting some, I will see if I can find some for you. They will be free. Will let you know.
ummm...i appreciate the nice gesture but most of the members on here will know how i like popcorn trees. lol.
jack

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I'd like 3 if thats not being too greedy. I live in pace and can come get them tomorrow. Please pm address. Thanks

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'd like 3 if thats not being too greedy. I live in pace and can come get them tomorrow. Please pm address. Thanks
Man, I'm sorry, but they are all spoken for this round. I will post up the next time I have a batch ready.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Man, I'm sorry, but they are all spoken for this round. I will post up the next time I have a batch ready.
When I come by Tuesday I still want to bring you potting soil and anything else to get you started on more. Ha

Please let me know if you want or need.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
do you have any popcorn trees?
jack
Jack, you start with one popcorn tree, the next year you have 2 dozen...year after that, you call in an airstrike and have the guys at Eglin drop a MOAB or FAE on your property to get rid of the SOBs...napalm won't work.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
some of you old guys don't remember this thread. take your prevagen.
jack

Reactions: MrFish

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
Switching gears a minute. What other fruit trees grow here in the panhandle with limited care? I live north of I-10 and have killed most plum, some peach etc. They start off good but fade over a year or three.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
peach and plum are two of the hardest fruit trees to grow. they get bugs and diseases constantly. i remember a spray called "pan" that i heard of was the only hope to produce good fruit.
jack

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Switching gears a minute. What other fruit trees grow here in the panhandle with limited care? I live north of I-10 and have killed most plum, some peach etc. They start off good but fade over a year or three.

Thanks

Chickasaw plums do good here...what we call wild plums. Very small fruit, but super juicy and sweet, wild persimmons do good, Japanese persimmons are a plant and forget...cumquats do good along with navel oranges, tangerines and satsuma.

·
Super Moderator
29,094 Posts
While folks are giving trees away.......if anyone is interested in cedars, I HAVE TONS OF DIFFERENT SIZES!!! FREE bring a shovel and pots or buckets....bigger ones, I got a tractor and will dig em up!

Reactions: 69Viking

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Chickasaw plums do good here...what we call wild plums. Very small fruit, but super juicy and sweet, wild persimmons do good, Japanese persimmons are a plant and forget...cumquats do good along with navel oranges, tangerines and satsuma.
Navel oranges? I would not have thought of them due to the cold weather. A forum member has Hamlin oranges. I bought 3 because of his recommendation and they have done well. I was thinking about a persimmon tree but never thought about Japanese Persimmons. A friend of mine has several Loquats that do well.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
While folks are giving trees away.......if anyone is interested in cedars, I HAVE TONS OF DIFFERENT SIZES!!! FREE bring a shovel and pots or buckets....bigger ones, I got a tractor and will dig em up!
Cedar trees...the Florida version of a popcorn tree.

Reactions: jack2

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Navel oranges? I would not have thought of them due to the cold weather. A forum member has Hamlin oranges. I bought 3 because of his recommendation and they have done well. I was thinking about a persimmon tree but never thought about Japanese Persimmons. A friend of mine has several Loquats that do well.
My mom's navel orange tree and tangerine trees would almost break the branches with fruit.

Reactions: SHunter

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
peach and plum are two of the hardest fruit trees to grow. they get bugs and diseases constantly. i remember a spray called "pan" that i heard of was the only hope to produce good fruit.
jack
My wife likes green plums and planted various type over the years. I have one with a few plums on it now but they never make it long.

Pan?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Blueberries, kumquats, satsumas, pears, loquats, mulberries, figs, and blackberries all do very well with minimal care in Pace. Raspberries, apples, peaches, plums, nectarines, lemons, oranges, and anything else I have tried are not worth the effort in this zone.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,350 Posts
If you want your citrus trees to make it, you should plant them near a building and on the "south" side of it. Use the building to act as a wind block from freezing north winds during the winter. Also keep the trunk covered at least 6" above the graft with dirt and/or mulch during the winter months to help protect the graft from the cold. Do this for at least the 1st 3 years of newly planted citrus trees regardless of the size when you plant it. If you plant smaller trees like a key lime, cover it completely with mulch (during winter months) if possible.
Also, when there is a freeze or hard freeze forecast, you should heavily water soak the ground around the citrus tree, this will protect the roots and limbs. It sounds counterproductive, but doing this will help to keep the tree from drying out during the really cold days/nights.
Doing this and planting them in areas in direct sunlight will greatly increase your citrus trees survival rates.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
I’ve got wild blueberries but may plant some other blueberries.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
I’ve got wild blueberries but may plant some other blueberries.

What is the difference in taste between wild blueberries and cultivated? The small blueberries in the northeast seem sweeter. Noticed this in strawberries too. I have family in Maine and the difference in wild strawberries and the kind in a store is amazing.

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
What is the difference in taste between wild blueberries and cultivated? The small blueberries in the northeast seem sweeter. Noticed this in strawberries too. I have family in Maine and the difference in wild strawberries and the kind in a store is amazing.
I have no clue but the wild ones are smaller.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts