Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out towards Horn Mt / Noble Tom Madden area this past weekend to tweak our new tuna tube pump setup. The water around Sportsman's is so shallow and foul that we really can't play with the tuna tubes at dock. Seas and weather were perfect just no takers on our live baits. We spent most of the day Saturday soaking blackin fin around Tom Madden. A school of porpoises showed up and proved to be masters at taking blackfin off our bridles! Got so bad eventually had to quit live baiting.

Numerous boats were out there tuna fishing; Recess, Born2Run, Annie Girl as well as a few LA charter boats. I did not hear or see anyone tearing them up. I did hear back at the dock that a few tuna were caught. In two days of fishing I did not see a single tuna sky but there was tons of bait at night which would disappear at daylight. Where does all that bait go!?!? Back under drill ship?? Who knows but they flat disappear with the sun.

Pics are of some of dolphin that ran by as well as a Whale that gave us the tail.

In the Bone Head of the month category I bent my starboard outrigger on a cable hanging down from the BeerCan rig. Totally my fault as I knew the boat was well off the rig, but forgot to remember there were one or two low hanging cables. Lesson learned !

Whale Saying Goodbye

Using FLIR to watch Barret deploy sea anchor, FLIR actually helps quite a bit in this situation as I can clearly see his hand signals

Nice Blue water at Beercan

Close up of a bar jack we caught

While the marlin were absent we still have a great weekend on the ocean.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
I think he's saying, read my lips.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I enjoyed your report.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I think that fish is saying " don't you know what's in these water...don't you even think about it sucker".
I take it that the Tuna Tubes worked well? Nice report great pix.
Whyme
Mako My Dayo

·
Ms Ruth 07 Pursuit 265LS
1,263 Posts
Cool pics!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
To bad on Mr blue not showing up for y'all , it was good to talk with ya out there after marking the fish and seeing one roll ,we stuck it out and got 5 tunas , yeah under the ship was cigar minnows galore but not the bait you were looking for.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Great pictures, thanks for the post...

·
Registered
777 Posts
Cool!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Would you mind giving the details on your FLIR system? I know they range greatly in price and I have no idea which one it would take to get useful results.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The FLIR camera I purchased is a FLIR M-324XP, cost was around $8k. It is a pretty wild piece of equipment. Interestingly I purchased it as a collision avoidance system but find myself using it more for weird stuff like watching Barret deiploy sea anchor, looking from bridge with naked eye, I literally can't see anything, I don't even know if he is on the bow! Yet to safely deploy the anchor we have to work together as team, the FLIR makes it as easy as daylight. Also we use the FLIR to see bait schools at night around rigs, the jumping bait stands out hugely on the FLIR as opposed to the naked eye.

Technology is certainly mind blowing! FLIR, Drones etc....

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Awesome pics Robert! Fish or no fish, it's always an awesome time out there especially with all of the diverse marine life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts