Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I will be moving to Pace the beginning of next month to be closer to family that lives out there. I am planning on visiting next week and was wondering if anyone wanted to fish on Friday May 11 or Saturday May 12. I am bringing my hobie compass and my fishing stuff with me for a quick trip.

I am a very experienced kayak angler and have had great success inshore fishing for reds and specks on the Texas coast. I have never caught spanish or king mackerels, snook, permits, etc... and was hoping someone could help me change that while I visited next week. Catching any of those fish would be awesome from my kayak.

If no one is available, does anyone know of any kayak guides that may possibly have an opening on that Friday or Saturday?

Thanks

Justin

·
Registered
86 Posts
Snook and Permit aren't gonna happen, we very rarely get them that far north. As far as charters, check out Emerald Waters (Brandon) or Sails and Tails (Matthew). If they're available, they'll put you on some fish.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depending on the weather while I am there I am probably just going to go a little btb and try to see if I can drag up some spanish macks, pompanos, and maybe a king. Water that is clear is going to be interesting, I am used to fishing in water that looks like chocolate milk.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Throw a 40-50 ft fluoro or mono leader on if you're using braid , usually go 30 lb. Wear your pfd, have your safety equipment, and enjoy that first king run.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Throw a 40-50 ft fluoro or mono leader on if you're using braid , usually go 30 lb. Wear your pfd, have your safety equipment, and enjoy that first king run.

I have a 20lb mono setup, with 20lb flouro and some 20lb wire for my hopefully catch a king setup. Will do on the pfd and safety gear, I always wear it even when just in the neighborhood, lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
The 20lb line and leader is fine and what I use, but you may want to go up to 30 or 40 lb for the wire leader for kings.

The clear water is wonderful, its just plain pretty and relaxing to look at, and you will get to see so much more life and fish behavior

1 - 7 of 7 Posts