Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks for all the responses! Most of the HOA seem pretty reasonable at 25$ a month or so, and not bad if it comes with community park/ swing sets etc for the upcoming kid. Is a place like grand pointe super regulated? I def like the idea of keeping the boat on the trailer in the driveway. Thats' one of the biggest problems i have here in apt living- takes me 45 to get to the dry boat storage which costs me 200$ a month-since i have 2 stroke those things need to be started pretty regularly. What's it average cost to keep a boat close to a marina not in a slip and do they have wash down facilities. I gotta pay .25 cents a minute for wash down here at my local ramp, frigging ridiculous.

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
Boat Storage here not associated to marina is at min-storage facilities. They also park RV's at them. None are covered that I know, I am not sure of the fees and access to water for washing. The few that I know that have used them would take their boat home, clean it, and the store it. We have a lot of Dry Storage Facilities, aka High and Dry aka Boat on Shelf. You call, they splash, you come back, clean interior, they wash down the outside and flush the engine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
That sounds pretty convenient, my dad had similiar in mobile bay, think he just tipped the kid a little every time to handle all the clean up. Most of my questions are geared towards ease of getting on the water, whether its just for a few hours around the bay or a full 12 hour day offshore. Gonna love all the options for fishing. Cant believe how big even those bay snappers get, been caught up watching lots of youtube since too windy to fish this week and just about everything still on covid lockdown...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Boat Storage here not associated to marina is at min-storage facilities. .... None are covered that I know, I am not sure of the fees and access to water for washing.
I keep my small boat at a mini-storage: they let me have a carport built for it (one of those all metal structures, installed by the seller), there is water but I don't know how welcoming they are about it (it's close to my house so I wash it before returning it), it does have a high fence, computer controlled gate, full video surveillance, and the police often sit in the entry parking lot at night while watching the traffic.

... not bad if it comes with community park/ swing sets etc for the upcoming kid....
East HIll in Pensacola ("proper" ha ha) has a park every couple blocks. Most are one block and have one or two of: playground, basketball court, baseball diamond, benches, tennis courts, boat ramp (the last two are at Bayview which is notably larger than one block). Neighborhood is safe, kids ride bikes on streets and go to parks without parents. City codes are NOT onorous (cars that won't run for weeks have to be out of sight or at least moved occasionally, boats CAN be kept in the yard, in sight, or even parked in the street (that tells you something about security!), etc.) and usually only enforced if someone complains.

There are other neighborhoods that are similarly pleasant. I own a condo on the beach and the HOA sucks. It was my first and last experience with an HOA. I will NEVER live where there is one!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
If you live in a neighborhood with an HOA make sure you read the Restrictive Covenant carefully before you buy. Most of them have a pretty carbon-copy version and they will often specifically prohibit boats in driveways.

·
Super Moderator
12,565 Posts
In all fairness, GB is nowhere near as busy as 9 mile road, or 90 in pace...

Traffic is bad during school year, from 7:30-9am, and 3ish - 6ish...

It backs up bad going to Pensacola beach on weekends...

I'd imagine neither come close to traffic in LA.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,660 Posts
Grand Point is going to be very HOA restrictive. In the city limits you won't have HOA's, but the city has restrictions. As for traffic, if you live here you find a rhythm on travel that is pretty easy.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Got a headache reading replys . my suggestion don't buy before you come rent for a couple months and find out what you need.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I’ll second what sealark said. 2 years ago I moved to North Carolina. I didn’t have the time to rent and bought right away. I lucked out though. I love my house and the area I’m in. If I would have had more time I know I could have found something that checked all the boxes on my list. If you can definitely rent first then buy.
~JOE~

·
Super Moderator
28,139 Posts
Coming from a turd bowl like CA to a piece of heaven here is gonna be a big change! If you are a CA libertard, it'll really be a huge change!!! As fer sleds, a 22 ftr will get ya several miles out but to do rig trips I'd go at least 25. Florida regulations SUCK and you need to be a college graduate almost a PHD to understand em so good luck.

·
Registered
309 Posts
But back to the OP: Boating on P'cola Bay is pretty easy. Water is mostly deep enough to not worrying about running aground and when you do it's mostly sand or mud. Tides are minimal, typically about a foot or less, though seasonal changes are more. Currents are insignificant except in the pass and for sailboats. Sea Breeze is fairly consistent, August is hot and little wind, winter fronts suck with strong NW wind and gusty. (Good enough for New York Yacht Club America's Cup team practice here the last couple years: 50+ mph sailboat.)
Fog is rare and mostly in the winter, mostly late November to early January. Biggest visibility challenge is summer thunderstorms which can come up really fast with visibility under 50 feet, high winds and lots of lightning (sucks).

The only thing we don't have is a great island 25 miles offshore with no bridge and boat access only.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My wife and i LOVE Gulf Breeze. We moved here from out of state. Came to a Gulf Breeze for the schools for the kids. It’s great and the people are awesome. Really, everybody is awesome (Pensacola, Milton, GB, Navarre, AL). We love the area. Feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I know, the real action is in midway.
Midway, wow haven't heard anyone refer to that in a long time. It was Midway, long before the area became known as Tiger Point. AKA "Santa Rosa Shores". I've always referred to our little slice of paradise as "Gulf Breeze Improper". Still has a GB address, but not in the City. :cool:

·
Registered
733 Posts
I love these posts where you get half way through the comments and forget what the original question was. To key in on the OP question, a couple of key factors that led us to Gulf Breeze 7 years ago.
Schools - We were looking when my boys were in 4th and 2nd grade. GB schools are some of the best rated schools in Santa Rosa county. Both of my boys went to Oriole Beach Elem and we loved the staff and the support they gave my sons. They're now in Gulf Breeze Middle and High and we've been equally pleased with their experience there as well.
Access to water - We settled on a canal home of which there are several in the area. Some on the Bay and Sound side. It's a 15 mile run from my house to the Gulf. While I'd love to be closer, the time to launch and retrieve a boat far exceeds the time it takes for me to run those extra few miles. When the new bridge is completed, there is supposed to be a nice park and launch on the GB side. There is a launch there now but has been closed during construction.

I'd recommend you rent a place for a year and get the feel for the area. We love living here!

41 - 60 of 61 Posts