Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone-

I am buying a house in GB in the fall, hopefully sooner. I am coming with my girlfriend, and newborn due oct all the way from California. I am 39. We are making a big change, but I have lived in Tuscaloosa long time ago and my dad lives in South Alabama. Main reason for doing so- affordability, family lifestyle, and of course the fishing. I work from home so not worried about jobs or anything like that. Been researching this for quite some time. My main questions are-

1) from the ramps in GB shoreline or oriole whats the run like to access open water. Is it like 10miles? and is there no wake zones or anything like that before you hit Ft Pickens. Currently where i live i have to drive 45min to boat storage, hitch the boat, pay 14$ to launch then it takes 30 min in no wake zone to get out of the harbor. Total pain in the butt.

2) Gonna have to sell my boat a 22FT CC before we move, but as long as the weather is good a same size boat should be good for inshore and offshore right? I regularly hit the islands locally which are 20-25miles out no problem- or can the gulf weather get nasty fast and should consider bigger?

Few easier ones- is it difficult to catch an uber in gulf breeze if i feel like having a few drinks in Pcola. Is gas really $1.25 right now? How humid is it really in summer or does the proximity to the water keep it little better than it was in Tuscaloosa. I'm looking for houses with a pool-how important is it to find one that is screened in, are the bugs that bad.

We are really excited to move. Gonna have a million more fishing questions i'm sure once we get settled. Thanks for any help!

-Chris.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
1 clear sailing WOT from shoreline to the pass, then head south

2- 22 footer can do it, but we have chop here, I'd recommend 25 foot CC

other stuff, UBERis all over the place, Pools, well get a screen if you're gonna use it after dark. It gets hot and humid here....

Welcome to the area!!

·
eating tasty
3,709 Posts
1. Shoreline is your closest ramp to the pass from gulf breeze. Oriole beach is a way longer boat ride.

2. I would get a catamaran or 25’ Boat with a nice V as Jim suggested. We don’t have the long period swell like the pacific. It’s almost all locally wind generated and sloppy. Easy to find flat days though. Avoid any SE wind over 10 knots, you will have an uncomfortable day.

3. It’s humid, but not nearly as hot as Huntsville or anywhere in the Deep South off the coast.

4. The bugs aren’t that bad in my opinion. Except those demon biting flies that come with a north wind in early fall.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Why Gulf Breeze? I only ask because there are lots of nice places to live around here. Each has something special about it.

I just always wonder what makes people make their decisions, especially when they are doing so remotely.

And, yes, it can get rather uncomfortable really fast, even in the bay for a 22 footer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks appreciate the quick response and advice. I wouldn't mind the slight upgrade in boat size haha- its for safety purposes :) As per why Gulf Breeze- It was recommended to me by some friends and after doing some research seems like would be a good fit. Housing seems very reasonable compared to here where i pay a crazy amount for APT with no yard. The schools have an A rating. The fishing is killer. Also its close enough to a decent size city just going over the bridge to Pensacola. Another factor was if i want friends and family to visit it seems easy to sell them on Pensacola beaches- plenty of hotels and condos to rent for a week. That was my thinking. I dont mind the no state income tax either and for my work which is online my work day starts at 9 vs 7am which is very nice bonus as well. Los Angeles has turned into a s***thole and the cost of living is terrible. Schools F rated and the fishing is really bad unless i head to San Diego where the tuna bite can be excellent in summer. Its really exciting with first baby on the way to finally be able to buy a house.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Gas is more like $1.50 to $1.75 right now. Gulf Breeze is nice but I agree there are nice places to live that are less congested - I am talking about places still in the greater Pensacola area, but you should try to visit a few places here before you commit. Of course, if you live anywhere near Los Angeles then my idea of congested and yours are probably quite different. Shoreline park is your best bet for launching a boat in Gulf Breeze. Currently $10 launch fee, the most expensive ramp around but it's a nice facility. Oriole Beach is not a very good place to launch a boat bigger than probably 17 or 18 feet, it's pretty shallow, and a longer run to the Pass (what we call our inlet that opens to the Gulf). The Gulf can be flat, and it can be choppy, and yes it can change quickly but if you're paying attention to forecasts and the weather, you should be fine. 22ft is fine, but if you like to go offshore and hit deeper water you'll have more days you can do it if you're in something a little bit bigger.

My one request. PLEASE leave California's screwed up politics and shitty government policies in California. The yankees are already trying to ruin Florida from the southern end upward.

Welcome (in advance) to the panhandle!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Summer traffic on the 3 mile bridge is awful. Everyone trying to get to Pcola beach can tie traffic up all the way to the 3 mile bridge. Navarre is cheaper to live/buy but lot longer drive to get to boat ramp to go into the gulf. Try looking at Grand Lagoon area ($$$) there are nice places on water. Also some nice places around the dog track. Decent neighborhoods but little older.Lot of people on here that are willing to cost share rides to go fishing till you get the "feel" of the gulf. Got to go 20+ miles to get to >200 ft depth.Nothing like the Pacific. Also, got to think about hurricanes and elevation of the house you're going to be in. Welcome to Florida and tight lines. Realtor is a good guy to ask about houses on here. He won't steer you wrong

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Thanks appreciate the quick response and advice. I wouldn't mind the slight upgrade in boat size haha- its for safety purposes :) As per why Gulf Breeze- It was recommended to me by some friends and after doing some research seems like would be a good fit. Housing seems very reasonable compared to here where i pay a crazy amount for APT with no yard. The schools have an A rating. The fishing is killer. Also its close enough to a decent size city just going over the bridge to Pensacola. Another factor was if i want friends and family to visit it seems easy to sell them on Pensacola beaches- plenty of hotels and condos to rent for a week. That was my thinking. I dont mind the no state income tax either and for my work which is online my work day starts at 9 vs 7am which is very nice bonus as well. Los Angeles has turned into a s***thole and the cost of living is terrible. Schools F rated and the fishing is really bad unless i head to San Diego where the tuna bite can be excellent in summer. Its really exciting with first baby on the way to finally be able to buy a house.
I've never fished the west coast in the Pac, however I have fished the westpac (Guam Japan etc,) the fishing was off the charts. is there a dead zone in the LA area, or is it fished out? just asking because I would have thought the fishing would have been good there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Summer traffic on the 3 mile bridge is awful. Everyone trying to get to Pcola beach can tie traffic up all the way to the 3 mile bridge. Navarre is cheaper to live/buy but lot longer drive to get to boat ramp to go into the gulf. Try looking at Grand Lagoon area ($$$) there are nice places on water. Also some nice places around the dog track. Decent neighborhoods but little older.Lot of people on here that are willing to cost share rides to go fishing till you get the "feel" of the gulf. Got to go 20+ miles to get to >200 ft depth.Nothing like the Pacific. Also, got to think about hurricanes and elevation of the house you're going to be in. Welcome to Florida and tight lines. Realtor is a good guy to ask about houses on here. He won't steer you wrong
Thanks i'll take a look at grand lagoon area. I'm not too concerned about traffic since i wont have to commute to work and obv the traffic where we are coming from is the worst in the nation. Initially i was considering trying to find affordable waterfront, but we opted for pool instead and ill just trailer to the ramps. Want to minimize the hurricane risk as much as possible, not interested in rebuilding docks and so forth. I will 100% be offering up boat rides and cold beers to get some good info and a feel for the area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never fished the west coast in the Pac, however I have fished the westpac (Guam Japan etc,) the fishing was off the charts. is there a dead zone in the LA area, or is it fished out? just asking because I would have thought the fishing would have been good there.
LA is pretty much a dead zone and the party boats have overfished it. Halibut and yellowtail are getting harder and harder every year. Plenty of sand bass and cudas, but the only thing that really pulls are the sharks and rays. In terms of good eats, i toss 99.9% back just because the pollution is pretty sketchy. The really good fishing is two hour drive to san diego, but trailering a boat 2 hours on california highways in traffic is a huge risk in itself. I do alot of fishing in the keys every year on vacation, fly and offshore and a shitty day there is always better than my best day here.

·
Registered
316 Posts
As for ramps and no wake zones, you won't find anything like you've experienced there. Bayou Grande: one no wake for about 1/4 mile; Bayou Chico: maybe the best ramp around (not the one I use so I'm just guessing), entire bayou is no wake but from ramp to WOT is only about 1/2-3/4 mile; Bayou Texar: three ramp options, two have about 1/2 mile no wake and other does not; Sanders Beach: ramp sucks and sometimes isn't usable because of shifting sand, OK for small boat when it's open (I think it's become neglected since Bayou Chico opened); Galvez Landing: maybe 3/4-1 mile no wake (I don't go that way enough to have a good feel); Big Lagoon State Park: probably less than 100 yds no wake. Bayou Texar is probably the longest run to the pass: 10.5 miles @ WOT. There are also some private ramps (Pensacola Shipyard and others) and at some you can keep your boat right by the ramp (I drive about 100 yds).

You should be able to easily find a house within 1/2 mile of a good ramp. Depending upon your preferences, you should also be able to be within 1/2 mile of grocery store, gas, hardware store, restaurants, parks, etc, at the same time. As for the beach during the summer weekends, you will hate the bridge (or both) so plan on going by boat.

And, since you won't bring CA politics, register as soon as you get here. FL is a "swing state".

·
Registered
13,528 Posts
You have a kid to raise and schools I am sure area concern. Gulf Breeze has some great schools, as I am sure you know. But, yes, one can get "trapped" in Gulf Breeze from time to time, especially on the weekends, as all the Pensacola Beach Traffic from Pensacola, passes through there, and can add up to 1 to 2 hours.

When I first came here in 1997, my office was in Gulf Breeze. I was renting in East Hill Pensacola. On a Saturday morning, I got up early to make it to the office for a Marathon Weekend of Production. About 10:30 am I realized I had left my tape recorder at my home, and with hours of dictation planned it was vital that I retrieve it.

So I headed to get it, a 7 mile trip. Oh my, it was spring break, and I did not know about the traffic. Needless to say, I made it back to the office by 1 pm. I learned the hard way, hahaha. So you have to plan trips to "Town" on the weekends, so you can make it back.

Is gas really $1.25 right now?
NO, but I use reward cards from Winn Dixie and Tom Thumb, and can knock the price of gas down by 20 - 30 cents a gallon. I think it is right about $1.57 to $1.65

How humid is it really in summer or does the proximity to the water keep it little better than it was in Tuscaloosa.
Humidity is noticeable, much like Tuscaloosa, I have a saying "You can be wet with sweat or wet with rain, rain is cooler". During the md summer months.

I'm looking for houses with a pool-how important is it to find one that is screened in, are the bugs that bad.
I have had a pool for 22 years and never had a "Pool Cage" as many call it here. However; I have never lived near "No-See-Ums" - Biting Gnats that can drive a person insane. I have always lived in Pensacola. There are places in this area where the No-See-Ums are a thing. This places are located close to wet lands.

If you have a pool cage you will need a pool heater. I had a pool cage in Sunrise Florida, that pool never heated up enough to enjoy it. As my pools that I have owned here never had a pool cage, the sun will heat my pool up to comfortable temp by Late April or Early May, depending on the rain.

By late June or early July I install my fountains connected to the return water to my pool, and all the filtered water is sprayed into the air, to cool it. If not, the durn thing will get like a freaking hot tub, and that is not nice. I use my pool often to cool down.

Sometime in September, I remove the fountains and save the heat. and by late Oct and sometimes as late as thanksgiving, the pool is still warm enough to swim. After that, we are done swimming for the season. Unless it is a Polar Swim thing.

You are going to love living in Paradise.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Working from home and raising a young family, I think Gulf Breeze is a good option. The crime rate is lower and schools are better than in Escambia County, and you're right about the easy access to fishing. People we know that live there or on the beach know when to avoid the bridges. Why are you selling your boat? We had a 21' cc that put us on a bunch of snapper in the gulf and trout and redfish on the grass flats when the gulf was too rough.

·
Registered
13,528 Posts
Is it difficult to catch an uber in gulf breeze if i feel like having a few drinks in Pcola.
I live in West Pensacola, Twin Oaks Subdivison, 1.5 miles to the Navy Point or Mahogany Mill or Pensacola Shipyard Boat Ramps, with my boat on a trailer at my house. (No Deed Restrictions Here) that is important to me. There are somes place like Tiger Point in Gulf Breeze that are deed restricted. My kids are raised and gone, so schools are not a concern.

I Uber a few times to Gulf Breeze, but more often to Pensacola Beach. Sometimes I may have a 30 minute wait for an Uber back to town. Anytime in town, Uber will be there in 10 minutes or less. So I am not sure what you mean by difficult, I have been to the west coast, and EVERY thing is Difficult there, to me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I grew up in G.B. proper, went to G.B. schools all the way and still live in G.B. today. (50 years) I recommend it to anyone who has no where to go and nothing to do. As for internet, it is not the best. If you work from home and rely on the internet I would check to see if you can get better service then what most of us have. Yes, the traffic is awful. You may want to rent for a bit just to get you feel before you buy.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The crime rate is lower and schools are better than in Escambia County,
For most of both counties the crime rate is so low as to be trivial. And what happens is minor. If you leave a power tool or nice rod in an open truck bed at a big store/mall parking lot, it MIGHT disappear but probably not. At a smaller store and parking lot it is unlikely to be taken.

The few areas with more crime are rather obvious and even that is only occasionally violent.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
LA is pretty much a dead zone and the party boats have overfished it. Halibut and yellowtail are getting harder and harder every year. Plenty of sand bass and cudas, but the only thing that really pulls are the sharks and rays. In terms of good eats, i toss 99.9% back just because the pollution is pretty sketchy. The really good fishing is two hour drive to san diego, but trailering a boat 2 hours on california highways in traffic is a huge risk in itself. I do alot of fishing in the keys every year on vacation, fly and offshore and a shitty day there is always better than my best day here.
Figured that might be the case.... I've always wanted to travel to the Galapagos Islands to see the Great White Sharks.

lol I'll be the one to say.... Suggest you come out to Pensacola and spend a few days, look around before you decide on a specific area. It could be well worth your time... to be honest, you can live in Pace, and still have your boat in the water in 45 minutes including traffic. You won't "fish every day" so..... If you're looking for Country living, Pace, Milton Cantonment, if you want Gulf Breeze, then come visit and you'll know then... If you aren't working with a Realtor yet, feel free to call. Your taste and desires may not be the same as, the taste and desires of others......

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,015 Posts
Guff Breeze is pretty good, lots of snobs but they are easy to ignore. As long as you don't steal Trump flags, No fighting at the gas pumps, don't smoosh the bread at walmart, return your shopping cart to the cart corral, no white costa sun glasses, no yeti or salt life stickers on your truck all will be good. Welcome to Breezerville.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts