Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of moving to the panhandle from Louisiana. So I’m doing a survey of sorts for you all who live there. Pensacola-Gulf Breeze-Navarre-Ft.Walton-Destin-Niceville. Modest living within 30 minutes to beach. What say you?

·
eating tasty
3,787 Posts
Realtor is definitely the expert here. More info for opinions. Budget? Do you have kids? Retired? Prefer country or city life? Proximity to doctors/hospital important?

·
Registered
413 Posts
have you visited the area? I will suggest that.... spend some time if you have some to spend...
Realtor is definitely the expert here. More info for opinions. Budget? Do you have kids? Retired? Prefer country or city life? Proximity to doctors/hospital important?
Ditto. You'd be surprised by the differences in the various areas. We really have almost everything here, somewhere.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the input-60 year old woman who loves the panhandle and have been going there for over 40 years. I’m taking a big chance with little $. Plan on buying or renting a mobile home perhaps and love fishing. Will need to get a p/t job and looking for a quiet peaceful place to live out the rest of my life. Please assure me that I am doing the right thing. I say-it’s now or never

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Loved it when we moved here 20 years ago. Now it's just too crowded for our taste, especially as the pols don't give a poop about planning. Our growth has outstripped our infrastructure. Other than that, it's still a nice place to live if you can afford to live in a good area. From what you posted, that seems a bit iffy? Hope your dream comes true. I'd advise renting for a bit before you buy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input ya’ll. I agree with everything everyone said I have some thinking to do. May have to settle for rural north panhandle. Still in all -paradise is paradise-I will find something and surf fish every chance I get. Appreciate you all

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,170 Posts
DeFuniak Springs. Small town with a Walmart. Real estate prices still affordable. An hour to the beach. Jobs are everywhere for someone that wants to work.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Budget is the biggest thing. I live in milton, I can be at navarre beach in about 25 minutes. Pensacola beach in bout 45 minutes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
413 Posts
See what I mean.

When my wife (now 65 yo) moved here in 2014 she commented that there is always something for anyone of any age going on somewhere.

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
If I were you, I would look in the Santa Rosa County area called Midway along Highway 98. There are many areas there with mobile homes for rent, and places to purchase one. However if you’re going to rent, keep in mind that renting a mobile home is it always the least expensive. Also keep in mind when the hurricane comes, mobile homes do not fare well.

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
What part of Louisiana are you considering vacating, I am an old Gretna boy. I came over here in 1995 and simply love it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Clipper you sound a lot like me. I've been working on this for years. I was (jokingly) abducted from Panama City by a young family chasing a job at a paper company in Natchez, MS when I was a child so young that I couldn't resist. As a result, I have spent the rest of my life in limbo somewhere between the swampland and the beach. Several life changes and career changes have had to be dealt with. I have waterfront property here that I need to sell to realize a dream that is similar to yours. I get Realty emails daily. I have been interested lately in an area just east of where you are targeting. Property around Bonifay, Geneva, Vernon, even New Hope is at more or less fire sale rates and at the most, you are less than an hour from the beach. The down side would be the economy (depressed), availability of jobs (lack of), schools, and hospitals. The upside is the proximity to the beach, a little further from hurricane winds and flooding, fresh water fishing and deer and turkey hunting. I am also familiar with that area because my mother was from Holmes County. Good luck and maybe we can fish together someday. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Loved your email-it inspired me very much. This state of limbo-well it works on me. Stay here-stay comfortable or take a chance and live near the beach. I know I could never make the $ I do now -but I’m 60 and I have to weigh the odds. I think my best bet is to give it one year-rent-and explore. See if I can get a job-go from there. Fish-eat-work

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
You need to stay where your at as far as fishing and hunting if that's what you might want to do. It will be different if you was to stay west of FL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts